How Do corns Work With Humidity?

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Raziel, May 30, 2004.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

If They Can Take Any...How much can they take

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sparticus

Sparticus Embryo

They prefer no humidity.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. adam2373

adam2373 Member

Mild to no humidity, 50% is good.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

They need about 50% humidity while they are shedding. The rest of the time they don't really need as much but can handle it as long as it's not too humid and their substrate stays dry.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. TomServo

TomServo New Member

hmm, interesting. I read 60% or more is fine with them. Mine perk up a lor when I changed the bedding.. it is moist so humidity is about 80% right now.

Was watching samson push more into a mound last night so he can do his "head poking out but 'You cannot see me!' manuver"

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

I don't think high humidity will hurt them necessarily, they just don't need it except when they shed. Many snakes are like that. 60% would be fine. You'll read all kinds of different things. It depends on the keeper. There isn't a universal agreement on these kinds of things. Some people say no humidity, some will tell you 80% all the time. My opinion is to try and get as close to their natural setting as possible. Since humidity isn't always high or low in most areas, then varying humidities should be safe for the snake. It's the same with temps. Some people say the temps should remain constant 24 hours a day, others say it should cool about 10 degrees at night. Since most areas in the wild would cool off between 10-15 degrees at night (or more) I tend to follow the "cool night" pattern. It sounds silly, but if you are curious about what temps/humidities you should keep your snakes at, I'd check the weather channel or an almanac to see what the average readings are for their native areas. Don't get me wrong, you don't want a 'frost warning' in your cages and you don't want it too warm during the day. The best thing about enclosures is that you can prevent all the 'dangerous' weather and just work with the most ideal situations.
    Wow, did that make any sense at all??? lol
    Anyways, my point is, moderate humidity all the time is fine, increase when they shed. It can be moist in the cage but it shouldn't be wet all the time. Okay, that's it, I'm shutting up now :lol:

12. TomServo

TomServo New Member

LOL :p Naa, no need for shutting up. More knowledge to absorb is all this is :lol:

Was at my mom's over the weekend.. sheesh, even 9 hours away and 12 years after moving out she STILL has chore lists for me.. anyway, durring some "down" time I went snake hunting with my kids and found a rattler skin.

Ok, that was completly out of nowhere.. but thought I would share it anyway.

13. biochic

Cool! I have a Timber Rattler skin shed, fangs, and tail I got from a friend. Pride and joy of my collection! lol

14. TomServo

TomServo New Member

hehe.. I have a pic somewhere of my dad from the 60's in Florida.. holding a 7' rattler that he had killed at work.

Was an impressive size.. been trying to re-find the pic for years.