how can you tell how old a leopard gecko is?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by redbarbet, Aug 16, 2008.

1. redbarbet

redbarbet Embryo

i am clueless on how old my leopard gecko is and i want to find out so i know how much to feed her and what day i can feed her.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mistergeiga

mistergeiga New Member

there is no for sure way how to age a leopard gecko. you have to go based on size and weight. and as for how much to feed her just feed her till she stops eating. and as for when, go based on how big she is. if she is larger she can eat fewer times a week, but if she is smaller you should offer food daily.

-geiga

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Those are pretty good terms to go by. Weight is the main guide for feeding because my leo will eat everything in sight so I have to limit her intake.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

The question was already answered, but I wanted to point out that no matter the age of your leo, it is important to always feed as much as the gecko will eat in a short period of time (generally around 20 minutes). Leopard geckos are good eaters and know when they are full. There should rarely be a reason to limit their intake of food.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

What I meant is that when I got my leo it looked like a bouncy ball because it was so fat. The petstore people told me this gecko was a hog and had some kind of eating disorder. Also it was taking the other geckos food so they were planning on getting rid of it. They actually gave me a 15$ discount.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Bogus

Bogus New Member

This is my girl... FAT but adorable. She's big for her age. She's only 2 months old. I know right? I watched her hatch too. So I KNOW she's not older.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lol. She's a porker. But that was from when my Fiance introduce waxworms to her, and I was gone for a week. So he didn't realize she should only have a couple every few days.

She's 6 1/2 inches long.

12. deydey

deydey Member

she looks like shes got babys to me lol im concerned. Are you sure he didnt breed her while you was away lol

13. Bogus

Bogus New Member

I only have one leo. Haha. She's fat. She's not like that anymore though. She's just got a fat tail now. =]

14. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

She looks like a healthy little girl who has been taken good care of from the start :(

It's amazing how fast they can grow when they have had a good start. Boo was like that. She grew 1/4 inch and added at least three grams a week for her first two months! Mokey on the other hand has taken a long time to reach 60 grams.

15. Bogus

Bogus New Member

Yeah she weighs a lot for her age. She's 2 1/2 months only. 7 inches now. And 58 grams. 58 GRAMS!!! But she's slimmed down some too.

This is her the day she hatched. On her way to the local breeder for a check up. She kept her eyes shut, so I was worried. And she wasn't moving. I thought she might of been one of the weak hatchlings that happen.
    [​IMG]
    She was 1 1/2 inches long when she was hatched. =]