How are mealworms supposed to act? Stupid question but help..

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Tim3skimo, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I got 200 mealworms to add to my 150 mealworms, because I am starting a breeding colony.
    My 200 mealworms are all just lying around...I put them in the feed dish and they just lie there, some move a little bit. Like...they're so still, you could think they're dead/sleeping.

Okay, I fear all 200 of the worms I got are close to pupating? They're medium sized, I usually get tiny ones as feeder.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

How warm are you keeping them?

Mealworms aren't the most exciting of insects... they really don't do much. But they should be willing to burrow in their food/substrate. If they are motionless, they may be cold, getting ready to molt, or may be dying. I would doubt that the entire batch is on the verge of death unless there was an incident during transit. Dying mealworms usually decay fairly fast and will turn brown and black by tomorrow.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Hey, none have died. This morning I found 12 pupaes. All the active worms are under their egg shells and stuff.
    I guess the other 200 are pupating... Maybe it's good? I got the 200 for breeding them, just didnt expect them all to go into alien mode so early lol,

I'm keeping them in an office drawer thingy, it has 4 drawers so lots of space. I don't know how to raise the temperature without a heat pad or light though man.

Anyways, they're pupating I think :)

Jeffreh, might be a stupid question..but can I put a water bowl on the hotside of my Leo's vivarium? I have one on the cold side too. My concern is, I have a infrared heat light on the warm side and don't know if humidity/water evaporating (I think? Dunno the word) will harm the light.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a stupid question. The greatest minds in the world must ask questions... it is how we obtain the knowledge we desire. So please do not hesitate to ask anything that is on your mind. We are happy to help = )

I typically keep my water bowls on the cool end of the vivarium. The moisture that evaporates off of the water dish will not cause any harm to the lighting or anything else in the enclosure. There is simply too much air flow and ventilation coming in through the top of the screen to allow for any buildup of moisture on the fixture itself. You shouldn't see any condensation or water droplets forming on your glass or anywhere in the enclosure under proper conditions (except for inside of the humid hide).

I'd say having 200 mealworms pupate is a good thing if you are looking to breed. The sooner you get adult darkling beetles, the sooner you will have baby larvae!