House Plants OK?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by jklwing, May 4, 2004.

1. jklwing

jklwing Embryo

We gave a tokay, Fire Bellied toads, and dumpy tree frogs, we were wondering if any kind of house plant is ok for their habitats or do they need to be a specific kind?

Thanks,
    Kristi and Jason

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Even thought these animals would most likely not eat your plants, which would more or less remove the threat of them being poisoned by them, live plants in a viv are hard to keep up and many animals just trample them anyways. Plus there's the fact that you can't really control what pests may come in on the plants. I've used Ficus and Philodendron in vivs before with amphibians, but these plants had been grown for quite a while outside the cage and didn't show any signs of disease or pests. Your best bet is to use plastic artificial plants. You can change them easier, wash and disinfect them, and they stand up to constant trampling inside the cage.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jklwing

jklwing Embryo

Thanks! We have the tanks set up with drippers, and since we live in the desert, we are having trouble keeping the humidity up, so we thought of putting live plants in the tanks.

Thanks so much!

Kristi

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cd

cd Member

I've used ficus too, but that was for chameleons. Maybe you can try one of those mister that go off a few times a day for humidity. I never had one, but I've heard good things by others who did.
    -Cristine

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jklwing

jklwing Embryo

Thanks! I'll try that. I have been looking for one, but I can't find one at any of the stores around here. Thanks!

Kristi

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lacerta

lacerta Member

The type of substrate you use will also help you maintain humidity. Cypress mulch works well. It holds moisture and doesn't contain the toxic phenols that other wood-based mulches contain. It also has some antibacterial properties that prevent it from breaking down too quickly. I think it looks nice too. I've had great luck with it, both in my garden and in my forest/tropical vivariums.
    George

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Repti-Bark works well for humidity also. I use it for my Halmahera and combined with daily misting the humidity does pretty well. We have one of the Zoo Med misters on our Prehensile-Tailed Skink. It works pretty well mechanically, but it really doesn't spray enough for a large cage. You may need more than one depending on what size cage you have. The ultrasonic humidifiers work pretty well if the cage is big enough for them to fit in. You can also use PVC and plastic tubing to 'pipe' the mist into the cage. Seems to work just as well as if the humidifier is in the cage.