house gecko and anoles?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Jhoss22, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

hi i have been thinkin about getting new herps and have pretty much decided on house geckos. i have read in many caresheets that u can mix anoles and house geckos together. i already have a nice sized tank set up for my anoles and was wondering if they can live together. if they can then that would be great any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

I wouldn't. Sometimes what will not harm one species could be deadly for antoher (ie form of bacteria). I never recommend mixing species. If you want more herps of a different species I'd get another enclosure first. :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Derek

Derek Member

Most of the time they will be fine together. I have had them together before and there was never a prob.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HaTeMe

HaTeMe Embryo

My G/F has 2 anoles and a house gecko in one tank. been several months now, no problems.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Paulito

Paulito Member

I had green anoles and a house gecko in a 50g, they were fine.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. HaTeMe

HaTeMe Embryo

also if you think about house gecko's and anoles are also found in the wild in the same area's too. the only anole you dont ever want to throw in the mix is the knight anole, they eat green anoles and house gecko's. there is even a site i seen that sold feeder quality (Grade B,C) anoles and house geckos for like 1 or 2$ a piece.

oh, if your housing one anole and a house gecko in one 10 gallon it would be fine. but more than 2 anoles or house gecko's you might wanna apply the 10 gallon per reptile rule. otherwise with the cramped space it becomes a big fight for the food. my g/fs setup is a 30 gallon extra tall. 2 anoles and one house gecko share it.

12. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

If you insist on mixing species... stick with the 10G per reptile rule. In the wild they may be in the same areas, but they also have huge territorial ranges where they can get away from each other if they want to... not possible in a small 10 or 20G enclosure.

13. HaTeMe

HaTeMe Embryo

well if your setup is well done (sandblasted grapevines, some stick on plants and some habbahuts or other hides) then the gecko and anole's normally dont bother one another. cause the house gecko is nocturnal, and itll normally hide out in the day while the anoles will spend there time in the vines/plants up high coming down for food and other things.

14. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

OK, to end this quick...... There is prolly three lizards you can keep in one tank if it is large enough..... Green/Brown Anoles, House Gex, and Chise long tail lizards. They are all community lizards and will do fine. Ther will always be the few fights but nothing bad..... You shouldnt have a problem...

15. LedZep

LedZep Embryo

mine never fight, I have a male and female anole, male and female longtailed lizards, and a house gecko. The gecko is mostly out at night so he never bothers the anoles, and even when he is out during the day they dont fight. even my male anole and male long tail dont fight. Youre fine with all of them in one enclosure.

16. Videogamelover)

Videogamelover) New Member

I have two anoles and a house gecko, with on longtail. They all get along just fine. But NEVER put knight anoles in there, they seem to gladly snack on them. :twisted: Trust me, i know. :cry:

17. Denine

Denine Embryo

okay i have just recently gotten a chinese water dragon for my son. we currently have 5 anoles, a house gecko (anoles and gex he caught) and the water dragon all co-habitaing and living together with no problems at. the anoles and gex have been living togather for about 6 months in a 40 gal. , but to clarify and keep every one from freaking out....my water dragon is getting a new habbitat this weekend.4 ft. haih X 2 ft length X 4 Ft width with a bathin pool and lots of plants. point is my anoles and gex have been completely happy together and never fight cause the gex in nocturnal and so the get along nicely. also the gex needs lots of places to hide.
    good luck they are tons of fun.

18. katiecat20

katiecat20 Embryo

i have house geckos and anoles in the same tank and they are fine together, yes there are some things that can be tranfered but if you give the lizards a quarentine period of a week before you introduce them.

19. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

This is a very old post, but i will add my comments in anyway.

I just don't see the need for mixing species together while theyre in captivity. A week is not a quarantine period at all either, 90 days is the reccomended amount of time, you'll figure out next to nothing within a week.

Three months is a very long time, and unless you have a large and well thought out setup, and are an experienced keeper, i wouldn't mix the species to be honest.

20. tyrannosaurusreiss

tyrannosaurusreiss Embryo

i have a house gecko and an anole and they r fine

21. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Its not recommended at all. What makes you think they are fine? How long have you had them together for?