Hogg isl boa cage...

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Hamburgler, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Hamburgler

Hamburgler Embryo

Hey, My hogg island boa is getting to be too big for his 10 gallon. I was wondering what to get for him next, i dont want to go up in size of aquariums, i was thinking a vision cage or something similar but all the sizes seem either tall enough and not wide or deep enough, or not tall enough and way too wide. I dont really have the time to build a cage, so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips regarding size, features etc.?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've never really found building enclosures TOO big of a job (except the 10'x5'x7' outdoor iggy enclosure I built about 15 months or so ago), but I guess it depends on what things you might have to take into consideration for the exact species.

What kind of size enclosure does your hogg need? What sort of dimensions?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. XzyluM

XzyluM New Member

Check out Jeff Ronne's site. www.boaphile.com He builds some great cages that are well worth the cost. I heard some bad things about Vision, especially large snakes popping the front door out and all. The Boaphile cages have nothing but good things behind them. There is also a wide range of accessories at an affordable cost as well.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Hamburglar, how's Ronald?
    Cage size for you Hog is going to depend on how big he is going to get. You will probably be safe in figuring a max length of 6' for a male hog though. So if you want a cage that is going to last, get one with at a minimum of 6 square feet of floor space. My personal opinion would be to go a bit larger though.... more like 8 sf and also a bit taller than an enclosure for a normal BCI. It is my experience that Hog Island Boas tend to be more arboreal than some other BCI's. If you are moving the snake up from a 10 gallon then the snake must be tiny right now. I would recommend buying an intermediate size cage before going to the adult one. An 8SF enclosure is way too much for a baby and may cause stress. Which ever size enclosure you decide on make sure that the snake has plenty of places to hide!

[Edited on 2/3/2003 by stormyva]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hamburgler

Hamburgler Embryo

Hey, thanks for the help everyone. I have been looking at boaphile cages, they seem to be priced well and it seems as everyone with a boa uses them. Stormyva, this isnt going to be to soon , i have a 20g high to move him into after the 10g. Well thanks for all the help, and I should have recent pics of him soon , he should be shedding in the next few days and i'll take a few pics right after he does.

Jon