Hiding a lot

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by JoshThaxton, May 5, 2009.

1. JoshThaxton

JoshThaxton Embryo

Hey guys my egyptian uro has been hiding a lot since we got her. She comes out in the mornings and really doesn't come out until the next morning. She rarely comes out after the morning. I don't know why shes does that. I took her house out for a little bit so she can be out of it. Can someone tell me why she does this.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Josh,
    Egyptians are known to be more skittish and nervous than their smaller cousins the Mali's, whether this is due to the natural enviroment and is an inbuilt reaction, I'm not 100% sure.
    One thing, do not remove the hide, this is her private retreat, her place of refuge.
    This could take many months, so dont expect miracles, you must let her come to you on her own terms, she will eventually see you as a friend and provider of food rather than a preditor. Keep handling to an absolute minimum, cleaning etc.
    I have problems with mine right now, I moved him to a much larger viv, 6ft long, admittedly it's at ground level and he sees me as a huge preditor just now, he's been in there 5 weeks now. He has spent most of his time in cave, coming out every few days to eat, (fresh food supplied every day). I have even covered part of viv, (at front) with a cover at basking end, so he feeling less intimidated, this seems to be working.
    If you put hand in viv (cage) place it flat, with something she really likes food wise, then sit and wait for her to approach you.
    You will need all the patience in the world, so dont rush it, dont push her, less stress.
    This is all the advice I can give you, hope it helps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. treyclash13

treyclash13 New Member

Agreed with Bruno. My 2 malis are very skitish. sometimes wen i come in the room and they r out roaming there tank they will fly across the tank under some rocks. uros r very skittish i thnk or atleast my 2 r lol

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

Uros can be very skittish - but if you feel your uro is hiding ALL day then something may be amiss.

Could you provide some info regarding your husbandry?

- tank size?
    - how many hides?
    - how its heated?
    - basking temps?
    - brand of UVB?

One thing i have found that helps is to cover the sides and back of the cage with paper or cardboard to help them feel more secure.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JoshThaxton

JoshThaxton Embryo

Well I tried the feeding her from my hand flat on the sand and well it worked. It took her all about 5 seconds to come and eat the food. In the process she smelled the food on my finger tip and well she bit my finger. It was funny because I jumped and she jumped and she was looking at me funny. Today she has been out about 5 or 6 times and she is out right now. :) Thanks for the help guys

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's great news, just keep it up and I'm sure she will be fine.
    Golden rule
    Always go in low and slow, at her level, less threatening that way.