hibernation

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by BSB, Oct 2, 2004.

1. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

when do leopard geckos go into hibernation or feel the effects of it because my two adult leos are not eating anything in great quanitys.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brandielee

brandielee New Member

I have read A LOT about leo's and never come across anything refering to them hibernating. I don't know why they wouldn't be eating but maybe if you write on here all the info someone could give you an idea. I'm talking about things like temps, humidity levels, age, etc.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jake

Jake Member

Leopard Geckos don't really "hibernate", they go into "brumation" - slightly different. It is my opinion that if your temps are the same as during the summer, it may be the shorter days that are making them think it's time to brumate. Brumation is not necessary in captivity and should be avoided because the high temperature makes them use up their resources too fast while they're not eating. It's like a regular hunger strike.

I think the trick to curing this behavior is to set up a strong fluorescent light on a lamp timer on top of the tank, set for 13 hours.

Steve

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I don't know whats wrong my temps are a little on the cool side, but my two adult leos will not touch mealies or crickets, but will eat grass hoppers maybe there trying to clean out there system or just want something new. I have never have had this before and my two baby leos are doing fine. Its wierd they are probably tired of eating mealies. Question: if i stop feeding them for a week or so and slowly introduce food will thet jump start their appitite. Its not like thier loosing wieght, both are really fat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Jake

Jake Member

I think that they may empty their digestive tract before going into brumation.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

its weird it not like then are getting skinny but im finding poop in thier cage