Hi, I'm new here! Happy Birthday to a beardie who will always be in my heart.

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by wren152, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wren152

wren152 Member

Wow! What caused all the throwing up? : O It's good to have supportive people, most definitely, though it still really sucks to be throwing up a lot at 3am!
    Yesterday I got art supplies for my upcoming finals, and I texted my dad to let him know and say thank you, and he said 'ok, good luck.' so I texted back and said 'I'll create beautiful things!' and he said 'I know, I'm sure you will.' And it was SO awesome and supportive of him to say that! It made me really, really happy. So I texted back and told him thanks for being such a supportive and wonderful dad, and then I got his customary text response. 'Ok.' XD That's my dad!

Awwww! How long did you make her jump for? D:

Ohh, I'm so sorry to hear about Cathy. (I have an aunt named Cathy! She used to work in a chocolate factory. Now she has fire belly toads. Heee!) I never knew too much about ferrets cept that they were cute and illegal here in CA, but my BF really wanted one someday, so we did a bunch of research, and since we're pretty sure that someday we'll most likely move out of CA (we love the state, but...there's other great places too that're warmer and more suited for us) we're thinking that maybe 10 years down the line we'll have a ferret and a tegu. : D Cuz the more I learned about ferrets, the more I liked them too, and he's great with my lizards, so it'll work great! He currently has 3 rats, so the ferret will be like a super-rat upgrade with a double helping of energy. XD
    But anyways, yeah, it's really tough to lose any pet. : / I'm glad you were able to cheer her up and do something nice for her like that.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

I love to have support from some where every once and a while (I am kinda a loner so I dont want to have them 24/7. I just feel better when I am locked in my room alone and my dad thinks I am being lazy:rolleyes:). We moved out of Alabama a while ago though so I will probably never see them again. That neighborhood brings memories. We had a dried up canal going through the back of our house (there was normally a tiny stream in the middle flowing down, however, probably just collective water) that seperated the back of the neighborhood and the front. My mother said never to go to the front of the neighborhood, but I just crossed the canal to see my friends and an old lady I enjoyed talking to. My mother got blistering mad when I was missing for two hours then just showed up across the canal (I never told them where I was going). After that, I still crossed the canal until we moved.

I also remember when I was Kindergarten (yes, another kindergarten story), I used to hang out with a friend of mine in the third grade afterschool. At the back of our apartment complex, we had this river flowing (popular fishing spot downstream), but upstream was shallow eneough not to even get your ankle wet. So me and Mag would sit on some stepping stones, talking. When she dared me to get into the water, I insisted on one side and she insisted on another. When I got in on my side, she said, "I told you to get in on this side! There was an invisible snake there and it just crawled in your body and going to lay eggs in your brain!". Some how, I believed her and cried for hours until my dad beat it out of me why I was crying. It looked like he wanted to slap me in the back of the head for being so gullible (Well a five year old will believe anything you tell them, right? (I cant believe I told you that story. It is extremely personal so PLEASE do not go around sharing this)).

Another time during summer break, I went to my Cousin, Tracy's, house and she had a pool, chickens, swing set, and a basment filled with dead centipedes (I never slept down there). We were swimming and she was teaching us how to do a cannon ball and I went to the deep end (I didnt know how to swim) and yelled, "Watch this!" Tracy tried to stop me, but you NEVER tell a five year old they cant do something because they will do it any way to prove you wrong (Like in the story above). I sank immeadiantly and couldnt get back to the top. I kept struggling and struggling until I finally swam and grabbed the ladder (It was weird because all the times I was learning to swim, I was drowning). I asked her, "Why didnt you help me?" And she said, "I would have drowned two!" "Then why didnt you get the adults?" "Oh, I didnt think of that". I was ready to strangle her.

30 seconds. Every one, even Tamy, found that amusing.

Seriously? My grandmother worked in a chocolate factory until she retired.

Well I think its great you and your bf are thinking ahead of time. But why dont you just register it under "long cat" ;). Cathy would pick up my sandals and hide them some where in the house so that was annoying. Oh and once I was at her house over night, and Hailey forgot to lock Cathy's cage and Cathy snuck into my bag and when I was about to get on the freeway, Cathy crawled out of the bag and got on my lap. I swear I was NOT attached to that ferret at times.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

I know this is out of the blue, but I get worried easily and it is really bugging me that I might meet him one day. I was trying to call some one, when I got the wrong number. Hung up a little bit later. He called me back an hour or two later and asked for my name. I stalled and gave him the most obvious fake name in history, Macy. When he asked me if I wanted to see him, I told him no and hung up. I am just really worried he would be able to find out my name, address, all that from one phone call. I have dealt with this once before, but this was when I was 12 and met some lady in the bathroom (I was so frantic to find my grandmother I got half my body stuck in the bathroom door). I cried the entire night after that, worried she would find me. I dont know who this guy is, but he scares me. On the first phone call I could tell he wasnt a nice person by the tone of his voice, and I am stressed out far beyond measurments. I swear, I will be growing gray hair by the time I am 20.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wren152

wren152 Member

Wow. Growing up we never were able to go anywhere without a ride, because the town we lived in was 99% windy roads, steep hills and a severe lack of sidewalks. I prolly woulda gotten into all kinds of trouble if I had been allowed to explore an area like that. XD Or if I hadn't, I prolly woulda anyways. XD

Awww! I'm sorry she scared you like that. D: I'm super gullible even now at 21. XD My dad was the tooth fairy the entire time we kids were growing up, and we NEVER had a clue. He'd take the teeth and leave a dollar as he was tucking us in each night. This went on for years and years! : O I'm gonna try to trick my own kids like that someday. >: D
    Also, in middle school/high school, my sisters and I would walk down to the public library after school, and from middle school there was a tiny park with a little shallow stream in it, along the way to the library, so my middle sister (Nyssa) and I would go down there, and one time she and I explored wading pretty far down the stream until we reached a road, and we were about to go through the tunnel that went underneath it, since the stream was significantly lower than the road, and it was still decently well lit, until I looked down and realized I was standing right next to the bloated, decaying pink body of some poor rat that'd died in the water. D: I cried cuz I almost had stepped on it, and it seriously looked so awful and gross.
    I've actually never liked deep water-the stream never made it up to our knees even, but larger bodies of water I just don't trust. Pools are fine, I know what's in the pool. But I can't bring myself to trust lake water or ocean water. If there was a larger river, I wouldn't go in it either, unless I was able to get through it with wading only. It's not really because of the rat, but there's just too much stuff I never want to run into, in water like that. Dead animals are just one more thing I'd rather not encounter. I'm not great at swimming at all. I can only remember swimming in the ocean once in my entire life. ^^'

Haha, long cat. XD My sister has 3 kitties, and her youngest, Bruce (who's a female, but the person who sold her to them thought at first she was a boy, and the name stuck) is pretty inbred, and uhh..special. XD However, she's all black and white splotchy, and she's pretty lanky, and can stretch out really far, so we decided that she was most likely half long cat, half basement cat, all mischief. XD

Wow, that does sound kinda scary, BUT I highly doubt he'd be able to find out who you were and where you lived just from your phone number. A while back, some guy kept calling me, asking for Sarah-I think he thought I was Sarah, and I had to tell him every time that I wasn't and that he had the wrong number, and eventually he never called back. Maybe the guy you accidentally called just had a mean voice, or a bad day, or something, and was angry at getting a call from someone he didn't know. My dad has a really strong voice, and sometimes he's mean to people who are wrong numbers-usually not, but sometimes yes, so maybe he was just like that. It's easy to stress out over the tiniest worries, I know this from experience, cuz I always overthink things, but once I calm down I realize there's a billion and one reasons why it would NOT be what I was afraid of. Hang in there. : / I'm sure it's just fine. If it helps though, drink a glass of milk! My friend Jammy told me to drink milk, whenever I cried or stressed out really bad over something. I dunno what it is, it's just really calming.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Karlee

Karlee Member

My parents would let me go anywhere. I remember once (I was in the eighth grade) we lived next to the rich neighborhood who had a pool. So me and Terrance (we called him Terry) would sit in our bathing suits outside the pool drinking sodas, acting like we were just hanging out there. After watching so many people put in the pass code, I have it glued to my head- 6,5,2,1. We would sneak in and act like we lived there and the pool was amazing. My parents finally found out when I got swimmers ear from putting my head under the water of a hot tub. I swear that was one of the scariest moments of my life.

I am the same way. My friend tricked me into believing her parents died in a horrible car crash and she was an orphan in the fifth grade. Too bad her parents picked up the phone one night when I called.

I remember once, I was going over to see my babysitters when I was little (I didnt know a lot of people then so I thought they were my friend), and their little brother answered the door. I asked him what Santa brought him and he kept telling me Santa wasnt real. I went home crying and my parents had to tell me he was real and I perked up a bit. I am probably the most gullible person alive, but I am not stupid.

I am not going to lie to you, I am not. But if I were you, I would have poked it with a stick. I would have picked it up and showed my parents (like that one time I brought a squirrel skull in the house), friends, teachers, and complete strangers. Hey look what I found! I swear, that was my catch phrase.

I loved the beach. I would only swim in clear water because I was afraid of jellyfish (not so much sharks), but if the water was murky I would go cannoying along the coast with my family. Once, me and my brother were cannoying through a kelp garden in Hawaii (I was a freshman in highschool) and my brother yelled, 'Karlee! Look at the cool nurse shark!" It was there, but I tipped the cannoe and fell in the water. I was screaming, "The jellyfish! Help me up!" I knew my brother wouldnt have done anything, he couldnt and I think he enjoyed watching me struggle back into my cannoe. I had a water filled cannoe and soaked clothes (my parents were so mad I soaked my church clothes because we went there right after church and I wanted to go cannoying before putting my suit on). This other time the water was so murky my brother (we all had cannoe stories) was yelling, "A shark! A shark hit my cannoe!" There were bull sharks in the area, but the water was so shallow it could have been anything. My brother was literally crying he was so scared that a bull shark was going to knock him in the water. But I think he just hit rocks and assumed the worst.

My mother is allergic to cats, and no one in my family really cared for them so why have them? I remembered a friend of mine had 13 cats, she never fixed them and they were multiplying like crazy.

I just hope he doesnt call me back, because I want to keep my sanity as long as I can (my friends say I will lose my sanity before my virginity (I said it because you see those words in little kid church programs)). My friends are some of the weirdest people you will ever meet. I also have some annoying friends who worry about me not having a love life (which I really dont have nor want to have right now, get down with school is my biggest priorities, I wonder what college I am going to... If only I could talk to my future self... I have SO MANY questions). My friend, Clair, said to pat my head and rub my tummy when I feel depressed. It actually worked. She made me say pat my head and rub my tummy repeatedly while actually doing so then we would both burst out laughing. Terry said to sing to a lively song, like T.G.I.F. or Pump It. Really good advice. I dont know why I tell you all this stuff, a lot of this is extremely personal and I am sure your not the only one reading it XD.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wren152

wren152 Member

Speaking of overthinking stuff, today Gwenny, our 6ish year old mountain horned dragon, climbed betweent he slats of the corkboard basking shelves we have in the CWD enclosure, which is 100% out of the ordinary for her. She's been showing her age, but she's still been eating and all that, but this is the first time she's ever climbed in there. Twin 2 used to sleep in there cuz she didn't trust us yet, but she's grown out of it (literally-she's too big, but also she trusts us more now) but this is so unlike Gwenny. I'm really worried she's in there because she wants a private place to die. She IS 6 at least 6 years old, probably, and MHD's only live 5-7 years or so, so I know she's had a full long life, and she's probably really elderly, by now, but I don't want to think of her crawling away and dying. : / It's a lot more different than losing Brother, or our CWD's int he past, since they were all young/in their prime, and got taken away by physical problems and issues that caught up with them from before we got them, and I know that if Gwenny passes away, it'll be from old age, but I still don't want to think about it. My dad doesn't want to pull her out of there. (we'd have to cut some tie-wraps to pull the slats apart) and I feel pretty depressed about it cuz part of me knows he's right, if she does think it's her time, we shouldn't bother her, but I feel really useless, thinking that we might just be waiting for her to die in there.

I don't handle this part of our reptiles' lives very well. The moment I think the end might be near, I get really upset.We've lost so many. Duke, our other MHD, everything we learned on the internet (and from the place my dad purchased her from) said she was male, so we didn't understand why she randomly died..until my dad dissected her (I screamed a lot on the phone when he called me to tell me what he'd done) and found eggs. I feel so bad that we hadn't seen the signs that she was actually female.
    Tiny, our CWD, smallest of he original 4, we think was kinda a runt of the clutch, and had a serious eye injury when we got him. My dad refused to take him to the vet and wouldn't let me, and Tiny's eye eventually got infected and basically spread, poisoned him with mouth rot, and most liekly spread into his brain, and then he shriveled and died slowly, and it was an awful time for me to watch him sit motionless for days waiting for it.
    Simon, another CWD from the proginal 4, was eprfectly healthy until one day she caught a cold while I was visiting a friend in Texas, and my dad called me to let me know. I cried a lot, because I hadn't been home, maybe I could have seen signs, but my dad said it happened so quickly..at least this time he brought her into the vet, who was able to tell us that a tiny cold had killed our Simon. .___.
    Midge was a CWD that my dad impulse-bought, and he was beautiful, quick, clever, and knew EVERYTHING that happened. I found him one day upside down in the water with a huge bruised area on one side of his belly. We guessed that he had been startled by one of the other lizards and had jumped from too high up and hit an edge somewhere on the way down and it caught him just right. That was a really bad day, because I was alone when I found him, and I screamed and cried for almost an hour, until I was hoarse and exhausted. His death was such a waste. he was beautiful. My throat hurts from holding back tears just thinking about it. He should never have died. There was nothing wrong with him, he was in perfect condition.
    Mellow, our biggest of the original 4, got MBD, and thankfully my dad let me bring him to the vet. We got medicine, and took care of him, brought him back up to great health, he improved greatly, and then we brought him back in and our vet said he was much improved, she was really great, and then a few weeks later, out of the blue, he had a terrible seizure, and after that he just sat there and stared in wonder at the world as if everything had completely changed color. He was never right again. he never ate, never even seemed to realize that what we were offering him was edible, or how to eat it. He probably never even felt hungry again. He had several seizures-we brought him in to the vet again the very first day, but a brain problem isn't really something anyone can fix in an animal like that. I don't even remember if we got medicine again, but I think we did. I remember holding him one time, and he barely moved his head, he was very disoriented, and suddenly the slight motion sent him into another seizure right in my hands. It was awful. We built a wall to block him from getting into the water in the tank, but he managed to get over the wall and drowned. He was so peaceful though...we get the feeling that after so many seizures, he didn't even feel the sensation of drowning. I think that was a good thing, at that point.
    And then Brother. After recounting all this, I don't think I can talk about Brother without crying, but I already told his story I believe, so I don't think I need to. No matter how tough it was to lose all of the others, Brother was the hardest. He was my darling. He was my good boy.

I'm sorry to say all this so suddenly. I'm really stressed out, and I HAD to tell someone how awful it's been each time. I don't want to lose Gwenny too.

Okay, I waited half an hour after typing this to actually post it, and I did homework, so I'm calmer now, but I still feel the need to share these stories, even though they're so upsetting to me. Now you're not the only one posting stuff that feels really personal, at least. ^^'

12. wren152

wren152 Member

I think if I'd poked at the rat or inspected it, I might have been sick. I think maybe Nyssa had a look at it, and that's how she actually identified it as a rat, because I freaked out and ran away from it. It was such a gross shade of pink.
    I havea rat skull, what does a squirrel skull look like? I bet it's a bit bigger! One time when I visited Nyssa while she was living in Arcata, we walked her dog and found a baby deer skull. It was pretty cool. I carried it all the way home, and then while she was in the bathroom I realized there was a spider living in it and I screeched and froze and she had to come take it from me because I was convinced that if I moved a muscle the spider would run out onto my hands. [/derp]

I wouldn't want to run into jellyfish either! I mean, I love them, they're beautiful, and my best friend Jammy in San Diego absolutely loves them, so I draw them a lot whenever I wanna give her a gift. XD But I wouldn't actually want to run into one in the water! I remember when I was little, there were a bunch washed up on the beach my mom had taken us to. She told us not to touch them, and I was good, I just used a stick to make one jiggle, and then stayed away after that, but my sisters tried to collect them. They were okay, but they did regret it afterward. XD
    Just like the time we went to the petting zoo and they decided to catch the biggest 'duck' in the pond, which happened to be a swan, and it chased them around the entire petting area while I stared from near the fence. They regretted that too.
    Also when Nyssa dissected one of those cheap walgreens cameras (the automatic ones with the ratchet you have to spin between each photo, and then you bring them back and they'll give you the photos back for a fee) and she accidentally burnt herself on something related to the flash, so what'd Manda (my oldest sister) do? She took the camera, and systematically poked every bit of the camera with her thumb, saying 'not this. Not this. Not this. *BZAP* OUCH! Found it!' and then they both had burnt spots on their fingers. XD But those are about the only times I can remember that I felt lucky to have avoided the action. Usually I joined in and made a fool of myself with them. Good times. XD

Haha, my sisters thought I'd be a virgin by time I was 25. : / I actually wanted a relationship though, and I got lucky when Zee found me, he's so wonderful. I need the social-ness though. I've always been kinda solitary, but I never liked it. Just a matter of taste though. It's not bad to be crazy though! ; D But in seriousness, I'm glad that your friends' advice helped, because stress is a killer and no fun at all. I hope he doesn't call you back either, but if he does, tell him to shove it and then hang up.

13. wren152

wren152 Member

Gwenny came out of the corkboard and then went back in on the other end, which is a very good sign, for her!

Also, would you prefer to move our conversation to PM's, or keep it here? I'll leave the choice up to you, because I don't mind either way! : D Or if you're interested, I also have skype, as another option.

14. Karlee

Karlee Member

Sure, Im more of a follower than a leader so I wouldnt mind either way either.