Hi, I'm new here! Happy Birthday to a beardie who will always be in my heart.

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by wren152, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wren152

wren152 Member

Hello everyone. I'm Wren or Heather, whichever you prefer. I just joined a few days ago, and I'm the proud owner of two bearded dragons, (Baby, 4 years old, male, and Auzzie, 2 in April, female) three Chinese water dragons, (Darwin and the twins-Darwin being oldest, but she's still less than 3-4 prolly) one mountain horned dragon (Gwenny, female, most likely 5+ years) and a gopher snake named Thor. (4.5+feet long)

I've had other CWD's and one other MHD in the past, and today I want to bring special attention to Brother (the beardie I've got as my avater) because he would have been 4 years old today. He was a magnificent beardie, and I love him very dearly, but cancer took him from me on Dec 30th of last year. I'm trying not to be sad about today being his birthday, because I know he's partying in izard heaven with his friends. (He even has another beardie up there with him! Frankie, my step sister's beardie-she lived to a ripe old age) But anyways, a moment of good memories, happy times and lots of love, for all the scaly pets (and other pets too!) that we've all lost over the years. Celebrate the wonderful times, and think of the happy memories during the tough times.

Happy Birthday, Brother, my proud, silly boy.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

Welcome to the boards, Wren! And I am sorry to hear about Brother. It sounds like you really loved and took care of him, and I am sure he still loves you up in heaven. He is probably with other beardies in beautiful and lively deserts. Maybe even chasing a few crickets ;). I am pretty sure he is having a great birthday up in heaven. When Lilypad's birthday comes around, I give all my animals something new, celebrating a time for festivitys. I am positive that he misses you and you can one day see him again
    R.I.P. Brother

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wren152

wren152 Member

Thanks. I tend to give my beardies treat food on all their birthdays and Christmas and all that. Unfortunately this year they all semi-brumated, so they weren't terribly interested in my Thanksgiving and Christmas offerings. XD Cuz of that I decided to celebrate their birthdays with lots of snuggles and attention, and then save the super special treat foods for warmer weather. *nodnod*

It's hard to let pets go. My mom helped me plant him in her garden though, I know he's physically in a beautiful place, and somehow I do believe in reptile heaven, and he's got a lot of friends there. And in some ways, good came from it all. Auzzie was hidden away in my room for a long time, and now she's upgraded to his tank in the living room, and although she's skittish and shy, she's REALLY broadening out (literally, too! What a pancake! <3) and becoming much more brave and open to attention. So I miss him, but I'm also really very proud of Auzzie's improvements too. There really IS good in everything, even if it's hard to see at first.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I still miss Kiki, and Mikey, and Jumper, and Lilypad, and Giana, I don't think you ever really "let" go. But if Mikey hadnt died, I wouldnt have obtained Kiki, and if Kiki hadn't died I would have never got Jimmety Cricket (my male CWD). And they are all happy, now that they dont need a cage. Dont need to fight over food and basking spots and mates. They are truely free.
    And I know this is a hard thing to admit for me and a lot of people, but all our pets are going to die one day and some will die sooner than expected for any reason. I love my animals dearly, but I wouldn't get upset knowing where they currently are, I would get upset because they have departed from me and I wont see them in such a long time. They are still a part of my family in every way, but I do wish I can have them back.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wren152

wren152 Member

Yeah, that's very true-Someday when I die, I'll see Brother again. My friend promised me we'd go visit all our pets together. I know they're all happy, I just wish they were happy and still here. XD

CWD's are so expressive and wonderful, too. How big are Jimmety Cricket and Candy?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Karlee

Karlee Member

They are both the exact same size, 9 inches. It is weird because they are the same size yet not related. You only need to look at them to tell that. Candy is a lot lighter for one than Jimmety Cricket. And for two, we got them at different pet stores. I am only assuming their genders because they get along better than I have seen any reptiles get along and how Jimmety Cricket's head is noticably larger than Candy's.

12. wren152

wren152 Member

Ahhh. Yeah, Darwin's probably..uhh..12-13 inches, but she still seems pretty young. She was from a bad background (we got her and our other original 3 in a shoebox in terrible condition) so she may be stunted or something, we lost the other three to a slew of problems that seemed to catch up to them from before we got them. Darwin's done pretty well though. But the Twins were 2 that my dad impulse bought after we lost Mellow (the last of the original 4 besides Darwin) so that Darwin wouldn't be alone, and they've grown SO much faster than any of the original 4! We think Darwin's maybe a girl, and we think the Twins are a male and female, because one's bigger and more dominant, and the other a lighter color, smaller and more meek. They're beautifully healthy though. I'm not sure how big they are by now, but they're quickly catching up to Darwin, actually!

13. Karlee

Karlee Member

Well they sound like beautiful animals, why dont you post a pic of them some day?
    phpbBNnLxPM[1].jpg
    Here is Jimmety Cricket on his mentos that he loves so dearly :p

And here is Candy who has Jimmety Cricket's foot on her head phpaS5xk4PM[1].jpg
    And here is a better pic of just Candy
    phpJEnrgVPM[1].jpg

14. wren152

wren152 Member

Ahhh! They look like the Twins when we first got them! And yeah, actually, that sounds like a great idea! The girly Twin is shedding, so I think I'll prolly wait until after she's done, and then I can take up-to-date pics of them and Darwin. (I'll probably take that opportunity to post pics of the beardies, Gwenny and Thor as well) I'd do it right now, but I'm HWing. XD Busy busy!

Your darlings are so well...darling though! I do love how CWDs are striped when they're little like that.

15. wren152

wren152 Member

I texted my mom to ask her to tell Brother Happy Birthday for me, since he's in her garden, and she said she planted sweet peas around him! So I guess now you could say 'Rest in Peas, Brother!' XD haha! Even after death he never fails to make me think of something funny!

16. Karlee

Karlee Member

They enjoy being handled but you have to hold Candy in a room with no other distractions or else she will jump. She is just so skittish.

And are you saying the stripes will fade? :eek:

And I can never find an answer for this question. Is a 6 ft high by 4 foot long by 2 ft wide big enough for them as adults? I am finishing up on their cage, I panted the inside a green back ground and I plan on painting branches and lizards and frogs and other animals except snakes. I love snakes, its just that they dont. I will show a pic of it when it is completed. Of course I will need some one who is good at painting to paint the frogs and what not, the best I can draw are stick figures :D.

17. Karlee

Karlee Member

I burried Kiki, my beardie, next to a peach tree she enjoyed climbing. Thats so sweet that you did that for Brother, if they are sweet peas of courseo_O. Sorry, I'm not good at jokes (y)

18. wren152

wren152 Member

Oh, well, I think it kinda depends, but I think the older the dragon, the more the stripes fade. But don't worry, they gain stronger markings on other parts, like around their face, under the chin and along the spine. They'll still look mighty and beautiful when they're grown! : D

Haha, they are sweet peas. I'm just a sucker for lame puns. XD They make me so ha-pea. *shot*

19. Karlee

Karlee Member

Well I hope they dont loose their stripes, especially Candy, she is really pretty with them. Jimmety Cricket might look better with his a bit faded but he is also pretty.

And I can only tell corny jokes and lame puns. It is one of my major gifts next to not being able to ride a skate board without falling on my butt.

20. wren152

wren152 Member

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Don't worry though, I think the adults look absolutely marvelous.

And you're not alone! I know absolutely no quality jokes. XD Just terrible puns and hilarious stupidity. But I'm happy! And that's the main thing. I wouldn't dare try a skateboard though! Whew, that's daring! I tried rollerskates once though. : D I went three inches and landed on my tailbone. XD Good times... *cringe*

21. Karlee

Karlee Member

Ya... I find the males especially attractive which is why I pray to god that Jimmety Cricket IS male. I just love their crest and spikes, it is beautiful.

And I can rollarskate pretty good, not rollarblade though. I was at the skating rink yesterday with my friends and I was day dreaming while going maybe 10-15 mph and I slammed face first into the wall and badly hurt my knee. I hate being absent minded, you just doze off when you really shouldnt.

22. wren152

wren152 Member

Oh man! That sounds painful. D: I understand the space caseness, but the 10-15mph is the painful part. Will you be okay?

23. Karlee

Karlee Member

Oh I am fine, I didnt break anything, just got bad bone bruising. And it is so annoying when you get bone bruising in a place you walk on.

24. wren152

wren152 Member

Ahh, but at least it'll go away after a while, like any other bruise?

25. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, but I had to chase down Tweety today for his wings to be clipped which was long over due and it wasnt so easy with bone bruising. He free roams a certain area of the house where he cant get into anything or get hurt by our dogs or get outside.