hey everyone got a ball python!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by ajlista, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Hey guys id like to start off by saying I'm glad people have started populating the forum again last time I was on it was dead. But yeah its good to be back. Anywhi. Since scooby and shaggy passed ive been very reluctant to get more reptiles just out of fear considering I don't want anymore dying reptiles under my care considering I felt awful acterward. Well my dad has a friend whose wife coudn't stand having a snake in the house so while my dad was telling me I said I would take him. I don't know the specifics yet but hes kind of yellowish? Hes small so I know hes younger. Hes going through a shed at the moment so I wont have any pictures. Don't ant to disturb him but yeah. If anyone remembers we have another bo whose nearly od say 23? Considering my parents have been married for 20 years hes had her a bit longer so yeah I'm confident but any advice or pointers anyone could give me would be awesome! Thanks so much and again its good to be back. Also pardon any grammar mistakes I'm on a tablet and I'm just breezing through.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

Okay so after asking a bit to the original owner hes about 2 and a half not as young as I though lol. But they don't know the Morph they said they could ask where they got ot from but when I get pictures up I'm sure someone can solve that. Apparently he has a lot of yellow but now hes in a shed so hes darker but I wont be sure of his colors until he sheds. One more thing my dad is very particular about not using a heating.pad because when he owned his pet store one of the heating mats stared a fire ( an older one not the newer one) but he doesn't realize the newer ones are safer. But he is stubborn lol and being only 16 I don't really have mu h of a say. So what I'm asking is will a ceramic heat lamp but a sufficient amount of heat. The thermometer right now is in the middle of the tank(. Going to move it she. We switch tanks to a 40 breeder) and it reads 82. So yeah.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Anthony.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh fun! Congrats on your new boa :) And CHE should be enough heat, just play around with it's placement and make sure you don't have it directing towards anything plastic and you should be good :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ajlista

Well its abvove a plastic hide but there's about a quarter inch of the keepers choice heeding on it so I figured that would prevent any harsh exposure to it or melting. Also is it okay to feed him around every 3 to 4 weeks and what size rat would I be feeding. My father only feeds live which I honestly feel bad doing but he said he thinks its the best way which I know isn't necessarily true but again hes stubborn

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well some snakes won't eat frozen/thawed.... it would be best to find out what the current owner is doing as for size and last time she was fed and with what... then mimic it once she's settled in to get her to eat at least once for you. Jeff would have a better idea about boas, it's been a number of year since I had one and she was definitely not a finicky eater!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ajlista

Well he ate 2 weeks ago I know that I will ask my dad to give him a call and ask. We were thinking thatwl we should feed him once hes done with his shed bee know the previous owner only fed him once a month but we want to try to go for every 3. To four weeks and yeah lol ive noticed Jeff is a snake expert hopefully he will have some good advice for me. Thanks!

12. ajlista

Just foundbout what he was feeding. Previous owner fed him 2 mice each feeding.

13. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Want photos :p

14. ajlista

Once he sheds we are gunna feed him I wont post the feeding pictures incase anybody finds it offensives but a few days after I'm gunna start handling him ill have pictures by then.