Help with an Ornate Nile Monitor - not eating?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by WPG, Feb 11, 2004.

1. WPG

WPG Embryo

Hello,
    I am concerned about my lizard. He is an Ornate Nile monitor that is 8 or so years old, 6.5' & 35Lbs or so, & otherwise healthy. He normally eats every day(a diet of an equal amount of cat food, fish, shrimp, chicken, liver, & an extra dose of calcium).
    For the last 3 days he seems uninterested in his normal food. Normally, he rushes to the food & consumes it within a couple of minutes. Is this something that I should be concerned about? He is otherwise acting normal.

He is just too large to pick up & take to a vet - unless it is absolutely necessary. Please advise. If you do not know the answer, do you know where I could find an answer?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I can understand how such a big animal would be difficult to just cart off to the vet, especially given the attitude of most monitors, heh. A friend of mine has a 6ft water monitor and trying to get that guy loaded up for a vet trip is near-impossible.

Although, I would probably get at least a fecal done, in case he has any worms or parasites. Both of these can put reptiles off their food, and they're usually no big deal to clear up.

Other than that, the only other thing I would suggest at this point is to check his temperatures.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WPG

WPG Embryo

Axe, Thanks for the info.

Axe,

Thanks for the info. I will try & get a stool sample off to a vet first.

Any other info. you could suggest, I would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Bill