Help!! Suddenly acquired Bahaman Anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by bumper972, Feb 19, 2010.

1. bumper972

bumper972 Embryo

Someone please help! We just acquired, via some tropical plants where I work that came in from the Bahamas, what I have researched to be a Bahaman Anole. He/She is very tiny--about 3 1/2 inches right now. We already had a 35 (yes it looks like a speck in it) gallon tank with the screen mesh lid and the heat lamp from other lizards, so I ran to the pet store and got some of the smallest crickets I could find and some coco fiber and a few fake plants with the suction cups to tide poor Karl (that's it's name) over until I see if he/she is going to survive. I know Karl has been deprived of sunlight for sometime now because of his toes (crooked). Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated! I've never had an anole so I have no clue what I am doing!! At the moment I am hesitant to spend lots of money (like the UV light) until I see if Karl even pulls through. He has eaten 2 crickets already and seems to have spunk though so I think he might be ok.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tkohlbre

tkohlbre Embryo

well these little buggers can be pretty hardy.. :(

well it sounds like you got a pretty good set up for it. I would just be cautious with substrate cause one of my worst fears for my lizards is impaction. Personally i use Repti-carpet for my leo and im planning to switch for the anoles i have (they currently have repti-bark) Small crickets and meal worms do just fine for them too, you might even wanna try dusting them a little with the vitamin powder you get at the pet store. Additionally, it he seems skinny, you'll wanna try feeding it some small waxworms if you can find them too.

The most important thing i think is providing him with enough heat and water, im sure whichever pet store you go to has some cheap spray bottles so you can use that and mist its tank for a good 30 seconds 2-3 times a day. You can have them drink from a dish if they get used to it too, just provide both for them and they'll be ok. Oh and a light source of some kind is a must for them.

Anyways that's my advice on caring for it! Good luck to you!