HELP prolapse!!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by stina3246, Mar 26, 2005.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

:shock: I think my Crestie Darby has a prolapsed penis. I put him in with my female and they got romantic. I went to check on him and he has a pinkish thing sticking out of his "vent?" He seems a bit upset about it. I read a few things on how to put it back. I'll try the sugar water thing but should I otherwise leave it alone? Should I try to put it back? My skunk had this happen and he fixed it himself. Darby has been this way about 1/2 hour. Could it return on it's own?
    I'm kinda freaked out here and it's 1am....no vets!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

try the sugar water, if it doesnt work make sure that the humidity is high so it doesnt dry up and bring him to a vet tomorow

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I checked on him this morning and he looks fine. I'm wondering if I interupted them and he hadn't had a chance to.....um.....make himself decent. I'll keep an eye on him though. He was acting normal, climbing around on the glass and all. She's in love, she's following him all over and I think I even heard her chirp at him.
    Thanks for your help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i would remove the male from the tank. he make try to mate with her some more and that could cause stress.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Yeah...All his stuff is tucked back in but he looks to be a bit bruised and swollen. I'll put him back in his own tank but how am I ever going to breed them? This was his first venture and he injured himself!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Another question. When they breed, do the males finish and then immediately retract thier hemipenis or will it stay out for a while? Is it possible that what I saw was normal but since I'd never seen it before, I panicked? I've looked ALL OVER the internet and can't find ANYTHING about a prolapse fixing itself. Basically there was this long pinkish whitish thing coming out of the vent area. It stayed out for about 1 hour from when I noticed it. When I got up in the middle of the night to check on him he was stuck up on the glass (next to the female) and it was gone. He hid all day and came out again tonight like he always does. He ate some babyfood but I didn't see him eat any crickets. Now his vent area looks a bit swollen but it is possible that it was like that but since I wasn't particularly concerned with his privated before I really hadn't noticed? I won't be able to find a vet until Mon. since it is Easter weekend. No one is open. None of the emergency 24 hour vets take care of reptiles.

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It may be bit before retracting or it may not. The vet will most likely use a lubricant and place the hemipenis back into place. If its a prolapse it may be too inflamed to go back in, so the vet will have to try another procedure.

Not sure with cresties, there isnt a ton of info I can find either. I do know however with Bearded dragon prolapses are often causes by a load of parasites, so that may be a good idea to check on. Since it did breed I doubt thats the problem. If it doesnt go in on its own get the vet, I'll try to search for you...

13. stina3246

stina3246 Member

It did go in on it's own, the question was..........does that happen with a prolapse? Can it go back on it's own or was there something else going on? My skunk had a rectal prolapse (sorta common in skunks) and fixed on his own. I mean he actually fixed it, I watched him do it. But My crestie looks normal now. He also shed last night.

14. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Several things can cause a prolapse, most often it is bacteria or parasites, but since you had him in with a female, it is probably age related. Too young and they sometimes do not have the muscle development yet to retract fully. This is something we have seen in several species of reptiles that are bred too young.

The risk of infection is great too if they do not retract and you sould keep him off sand or anything that can irritate the area for a few days

15. stina3246

stina3246 Member

OK..........let me try again.
    He has retracted EVERYTHING. He is not prolapsed anymore. I just wanted to know if that can happen with a prolapse.
    Also, he is not and never has been on sand. He and the female both are on paper towels. He's been checked for parasites (both he and the female) and they are clean. He is young though.....just about a year. He's back in his own tank now too.
    Guys, I appreciate all your advise...it's been invaluable in raising some of my "kids" but please READ what I'm saying. So far everyone (accept Klik) is still telling me how to keep the prolapse clean etc....he isn't prolapsed anymore. Everything is back in place and looks normal.

16. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

If it went back in there really shouldn't be a problem. Maybe he was just parading himself. Keep an eye on him and he should be fine. Keep us updated on how the female gets on. It's hard to separate them when they look so much in love. :)

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i did not see mine breed so i dont know if it stays out for a little. you may have caught him once he finished and he was startled so he did not bring it back fast. but if it went in on its own i do not think it is a prolapse and he should be fine

18. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Thanks, he's looking and acting pretty normal. She doesn't seem to miss him.....they were only together for about 20 hours. He seems happy to be back in his own enclosure. I'll just have to wait until he's a bit older. (Maybe she was dissapointed!) Anyway, thanks again.

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

hahahaha

20. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

wouldn't you be?

21. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Sorry Stina

A Prolapse usually wont go back on its own and it will usually require a vet asap. Didnt understand your Q fully...