Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by leoosrul, Apr 6, 2008.

1. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok well i was out working yesterday (Saturday April 5th)and i got bored. so i start pickin up rocks and throwing them at a creek bye where i work. when i picked up one of the rocks i saw a squirming critter. upon closser inspection i realized that it was a very small snake being attacked by abunch of large ants. i know that this is just nature taking its course...but i just couldnt let the little snake be killed. so i got all of the ants off of it and picked up the snake. i had a water bottle from earlier that was dried out and i put the snake inside. i had to leave soon after and again i couldnt just let the snake go and let it be eatin. so i but the bottle into my jacket and wrapped it up( my dad hates snakes so i had to smuggle it home) when i got home i quickly set up a temporary tank for the littke critter.

he seems to be doing fine right now. i was told by my boss the he was a little ring-necked snake. im not sure if this is right. he is green with an orange circle around his neck and an orange under belly. he looks alot like a garter snake. i found him in central jefferson county in missouri. i cant give any lengths or weights tonite because my dad would flip if he saw my new little pet.

what i need to know is what kind of snake this is, what should i feed him, and is he poisonous? he is really timid, he squirms around like a worm but doesnt bite.

thanks to all who help! :p

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Maybe try to get a sneaky pic? I'm glad you've rescued him at least. Poor little thing. Make sure he has a warm side and a cooler side, and a hide to hide in. Good luck keeping him out of your dad's sight!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bodom85

bodom85 Member

Sounds like a ring neck snake. No not venomous.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok. will try and get a pic asap. hes doing really good. he has a warm and cool side...a hide and a bowl for water. i was told that ringnecked snakes need somewhere to swim...is this true?

and what should i feed him? he took a mealie earlier but he had alot of trouble.

thanks for the help;
    josh

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Definiteley sounds like a ring neck. Google Ringneck snake caresheet and you should be able to get care info easily. I do not know the laws in your area but in someplaces it is illegal to catch an indigenous species and keep it as a pet so you may want to do some research on this.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

ok i did more research on my lil buddy. he is defientely a ringneck snake. hes taken 3 small earth worms and a small mealie since i aquired him...

also to bunny~ as far as i can tell its not illegal but thanks for the heads up!! :)