Help! Lost Corn Snake!

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Pcircle85, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

I got home from work tonight and went to hold him and he was gone!! But I had locks on the lid and everything I had thought there was NO WAY of him escaping.. Are there any tricks to get him to come about? I've turned my house upside down looking for him..

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Set up a nice warm spot for him...... even better put a nice little hide with a heat lamp over it and a small bit of food in an out of the way spot near it's cage. It may head right to it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

24 hours now, no baby.. There's no substrate, it's reptile carpet, and the tank is 100% taken apart, there's absolutely nothing in it. The hot spot with the hide in the middle of the living room floor with the mouse has been setup for about 18 hours now, still nothing... How long should I wait before I call off the search?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

Four days now, still nothing.. ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Habes

Habes Embryo

You might want to try a snake trap from www.beanfarm.com I think there $12, don't know what else to tell you good luck!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

The idea of putting masking tape around the edges of my walls was given to me by the breeder of my baby, I'm going to try that tonight and hope it works.. Been over a week, I know he's hungry and cold...

12. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

I don't think he's coming back, it's been almost two weeks now..

13. beccasaur

beccasaur New Member

thats so sad :(

14. gadd19

gadd19 Member

well, try putting crumpled up news paper around the edges of your walls. snakes dont like to be out in the open, and if hes mobile somewhere, youll hear it. how big is he by the way.....a friend of mine lost his rat snake, and found it 3weeks later curled up inside his couch!
    crazy little devils..... dont give up!

15. gadd19

gadd19 Member

oh yah...do you have cats???
    (hope not)

16. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I lost mine 2 days ago. I'm gonna keep an eye on this post and hope both ours come back soon! Keep the tips coming!

17. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

Unfortunately, I must give up the search, it has been almost a month now, and not a single sign of him in the house. I'm assuming he escaped the house entirely.. Thanks everyone for the tips and support.

18. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I'm so sad to hear that. Mine showed back up tonight. I've heard of snakes showing up after months. Don't give up entirely. Keep walking carefully. I'll say a little prayer for him.

19. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't give up on it just yet. I just talked to someone yesterday who had one lost for a couple months and it decided to just come crawling out of her closet one day.

In addition to the newspaper you can also place plastic baggies around the house. I think they might make a little more noise so you'd be able to hear it. There was post about this and I think either hummingbird or biochic had a way to make a trap that worked for them. I'll ask about it.

20. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Awww, that is so sad. I'm sorry .. but don't worry, he'll show back up. I have heard a lot of stories about snakes missing and popping up sometime later!

21. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

One thing we tried that work really well was a bottle trap. We took an empty, 2-Liter soda bottle. Cut it in half and put the top part down into the bottom part like a funnel. Before that though, sorry, we took small strips of plastic (or cardboard), about 15-20 strips about 2 inches long and taped them around the mouth of the bottle (like you would be extending the funnel) and put a frozen-thawed pinky mouse (or whatever size prey your snake is eating) in the bottom. Then we put the two pieces together with the top inverted. The idea is, the snake is lured to the trap by the prey, squeezes into the bottle and can easily push past the plastic strips. But once his is inside the bottle and has eaten, the strips are facing the other way and are too close together to get in between so he can't get out. I hope that makes sense.
    Another thing we did once to track where a snake was going, was to sprinkle baking soda in areas we thought he would hide. That way, you could see his tracks if he went through it and could get a better idea of where he was going and how often.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

22. garybingham

garybingham Member

a frind of mine found his snake after 4 month of british winter in his garden as fat as any normal snake but it now only eats live food

23. lovmypetz

lovmypetz Embryo

I boarded my snake at a pet store where he just happend to escape. He was gone for two months; then one day they found him in the mouse tank. Your babe will get hungry eventualy; if you could leave an open aquarium with a mouse in it, you might find the little bugger.

24. dmbjoker

dmbjoker Embryo

hey i lost my snake in my car for three weeks in the winter upstate New York and i was losing hope i searched it everyday i would check the engine before starting it to make sure he wasnt there...then randomly when i was driving he came out onto teh passenger seat it was great i dunno if this would help but when i asked teh pets store what to do they told me to put mice in a clear box with holes so he could smell them then check it every couple of hours they said if hes near it he would smell it and stay there trying to figure out how to get in the box...hopefully it works out
    good luck

25. herp_lover09

herp_lover09 Embryo

holding

whenever i try to pick up my corn snake it sktrikes at me...is there anything that i can do about that?