Help! Lighting for Tokay Gecko

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Pebo, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Pebo

Pebo New Member

I need some serious help on how i should light my terrarium for my Tokay Gecko. I have a 20 gal tank with two plants and a water bowl(for humidity more than anything) on the left side and then a "jungle gym" on the left side(it is a bunch of smooth wood twisted together- lots of holes, shade and such). As of right now, we have a clamp lamp on the left side, clamped onto a guitar stand, with a 75 watt red heat lamp. I realize that this isn't the greatest setup, and im racking my brains for ideas. Mostly, I need to know what kind of bulb i need to use in the day. I was using the red heat lamp for the heat,obviously, and while the room is light during the day, i dont know if it is sufficient for lighting in her home. I thought of a florescent or incandescent bulb, but since she is nocturnal, i dont know if this would be irritating to her or not. Does anyone have any ideas or information? I'm new to herps and i need all the help i can get! If you have any other suggestions on the setup of her terrarium, I am open to those as well! Thanks in advance!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Ok, nocturnal gecko does not need any kind of UV light, not really. Are the plants live plants? Then use a grow bulb. They have these in incandescent and florescent bulbs. IF her cage needs the heat during the day, I'd say use the incandescent bulb.

The set up sounds fine. Give her some rocks and a cave and she should be as happy as a pig in slop!

Sharon

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pebo

Pebo New Member

alright, well we have 2 plants in her terrarium.. how long should we leave the light on? i want the plants to grow but i want her to be happy. well.. as happy as a Tokay can get, anyway... :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Well, tokays have day and night cycles too. So leaving the light on for 4 - 6 or even 8 hours won't bother her. She will just rest at those times.

Sharon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Pebo

Pebo New Member

yea that's what I figured. We leave it on until about 8pm. Suprisingly, I saw her on the side of the glass basking in it for a little while today.. And since we have put the plant light there, she has seemed alot more active(since she's regulating her temp so much) But thankfully she has a cozy cool spot under the "jungle jym" so i think all is well. Thanks alot for your help!