Help! Iguana not eating

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mackesr148, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mackesr148

mackesr148 Embryo

Hi, new to site living in England. Anxious for help with Iggy not feeding.
    Eddie is about 2 years old and we have had him for naerly a year.
    He is very lively, quite tame and generally seems on top form apart from suddenly not eating... a couple of bite a day and thats his lot compared to wolfing down a bowlful or two every day. Nothing has changed but his eating habits. He is fed every morning with fresh food and water, the temperature is between 86 - 88, uv light working fine on for about 10 hours per day and his home is also lit by natural light for some 4 hours at this time of year too. He comes out every day and is very lively wandering about but still not eating. Tried hand feeding but he just sits there and often closes his eyes. Main thing is... is this ok? should I be overly worried? Very keen to hear from anyone with suggestions
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Well, since it's coming on to winter, most igs will slow down in their eating habits. I know ours will sometimes go 3-5 days without eating a full bowl of food. Even with temps and lighting under that same controls as summer, they can still sense the change of the seasons. One thing though, with temps getting colder outside, they're probably getting cooler in your house as well. The ambient temp could be lowering the cage temps a few degrees, and that can also alter eating habits, along with the light changes since he has access to nautral light (his body will know the days are getting shorter). All in all, it's very commonplace for an ig to stop eating or slow down eating. As long as he's not lethargic or showing any other signs of illness, chances are there's nothing to worry about.
    What temps is his cage set at? How do you monitor temps? Just keep offering him food, try his favorites and maybe some fruit baby food (I know that helps jumpstart ours), and make sure the temps stay good and he should come around soon.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mackesr148

mackesr148 Embryo

Thanks for your prompt reply. Some good points there will double check the suggestions of temperatures we do have a thermometer in the cage which regulates the temperature to around 86 and 88 degrees but he does come out quite a bit where of course it is much cooler. Fruit baby food? not sure what you mean perhaps you could clarify this, don't forget we are in England and it might not be the same over here! Again thanks a lot

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Just baby food, the kind pre-made in a jar, that you can get at any market. Even in England! :D You can also mash up fruit or put it through a blender. Sometimes that helps kickstart their eating.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

When our ig Godz went off his food (start of winter, a couple of day before shedding) we found that giving him a slurry of passion fruit and figs would perk him up a bit. He NEVER went more than 2 days showing disinterest in his food and the best advice I feel is that if you are concerned, contact your vet. It never hurts ot have a quick check over to make sure everything is okay. Winter and the changing in the weather can disrupt your ig's normal cycle and he should really pick up if that's all it is thats bothering him. What type of substrate etc do you use for him? Hope all goes well.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chris12342000

chris12342000 Embryo

hi my iguana hasnt eatting for month what could be wroge.

12. brittone05

Chris, what substrate and set up do you have for your iguana? Have you seen a vet? It may be that you just haven't actually seen you ig eating and he/she is not taking a lot that you would notice when you change their food??? Have you changed anything within their environment or have you only just got your ig?? Let me know and I will try to help as best I can

13. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

well if we are talking about normal or un-normal in iggies.... I have a question. my Zelda is eating normal for winter time, the problem is she has not gone to the bathroom completely.... what I mean is she will "poop" the liquid, and thick white stuff, but noting else. she has done this for about the last week. is there anything that I can feed her to make her go completely... any ideas would be great

14. brittone05

Try giving her a good soak in a warm bath. This usually helps with bowel movements. If she still hasn't gone in a couple of days, get her checked by a qualified herp vet. Good luck

15. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

im in the uk if u need some help

16. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

I am in the states. she gets a warm bath every day, like i said she does a bm every time but she has not "plant waste" in there.

17. lamarp

lamarp Embryo

hi guys i am haven the same problem my iguana is not eating well see he escaped from his cage :eek: an was lost for about 2 weeks and now i found him and he is not even skinny or anything and he dosent even want to eat and i dont know if its something wrong with him because i cant go a day without eating and he goes 2 weeks and dosent even eat im confused .... and i have another little problem with him he is very aggresive and i cant tame him :D im thinkin its because he is a little young but my friend has a iguana and his is a bit older than mine and he puts his iugana in the tree in his backyard and the iguana stays their till he comes and gets him can anyone help me and i live in the US and sorry bout repating that comment thing im new to this i didnt know what was going on. if someone can help me that would be good :)