HELP iggy has pnuemonia???

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by liljoe, Aug 23, 2004.

1. liljoe

liljoe Embryo

can anyone help i think i have an iggy w/ pnuemonia she is lethargic mouth is full of mucus weezing when she breathes not eating also vey limited use of hind legs and tail no $$$ for vet they want 200 for an emergency visit or visit is 30 days out cant wait that long she is very ill and i am afraid she will die please help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

first off raise temperature imeditatly; second try to get money for a vet; third get an eye dropper or a syringe and blend up some colla greens, dandelion, vitamins, spinach and try to feed her with the syringe. thats all i can say. Hummingbird and Axe know a lot about iggies i would PM them ASAP

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. liljoe

liljoe Embryo

have been force feeding her with feeder syringe started last night she seems a little better today but still bad are there any antibiotics i can obtain wo a vet for her

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

There really aren't any antibiotics you can get without a prescription. Like Klik said, make sure the temp is up, maybe try some direct sunlight outside to help boost the immune system. Get an electrolyte solution (like Pedialyte in the baby section of the gracery store) and dropper feed. Can't really say for certain it's pneumonia. But you really need to find a vet to take her too ASAP. That's really the only way. Try payment installments, or find a rescue group that may have a volunteer vet that may help or give a discount. And to be really honest, and sorry to say this when you're in this situation, but if you can't afford to pay for things like this, you may want to look into finding her a new home or starting an "emergency vet care" fund and save a little money here or there for times like this.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. liljoe

liljoe Embryo

i have her on electrolytes and in the sun i know about the vet fund and if i told you how my last 3 months have gone you would just say i am making excuses i am aware how terrible this is and i really dont need any criticism however any advice is greatly appreciated

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. liljoe

liljoe Embryo

made her a slurry of wet iggy food tiny amounts of suppliments cal and vitamins pedialyte and romaine fed her 3cc each hour for last two hours she is 3 ft long called to make a vet appt they want a credit card number or i can walk in and pay emergancy service fee great vets around here huh

12. Kazer

Kazer Embryo

The limited movement of the hind legs sounds like MBD, are they swollen?
    I know MBD can cause paralyzation of limbs.
    I had an Ig about 10 yrs. ago that developed this but the vet helped out alot!

13. biochic

I wasn't criticizing really, just saying that what I felt to be true. I've never heard of a vet wanting a credit card number to make an appt. Very strange. I know money can get tight at the most inconvenient times, that's why I suggested the "Iggy Fund", which is really a good idea for anyone with any type of pet.
    I would try something like turnip greens that would be more nutritious than romaine and less gassy than collard greens. One word of advice, igs don't have a diaphragm separating their lungs from their digestive tract and their lungs run along the sides of their body, so any gas build-up will press against the lungs causing breathing problems. She'll also have an expanded belly. You'll have to gently massage her stomach if this happens to help her work off the gas since they can't really burp.
    The gaping and mucous in the mouth is the only thing that makes me think this isn't MBD Kazer, unless it's really advanced. Is she just lethargic or unable to use her legs at all?

14. liljoe

liljoe Embryo

just got back from the vet and he says iggy has mbd gave her a a&d shot and a calcium injection and gave me calcium to administer orally she started having siezure like fits dry heaving, twitching, eyes being covered by the membrane so my rent will now be short 300 dollars but iggy is gonna make it hopefully any feedback is appreciated on how to deal with this illness thanks guys

15. biochic

Glad to hear you made it to the vet. I can't believe it cost that much! When we got a rescue with MBD it cost us less than $100 for vet treatment. Some people just like to overcharge I think. It sounds like your ig has an advanced case of MBD, especially with the dry heaves and seizures. Ours did the same thing. Besides the oral calcium, I'd make sure you supplemented the diet with calcium powder and leave the UVB bulb on longer during the day and try to get her some exposure to real sunlight.
    Hummingbird, one of our Mods, has a website with info on MBD: Metabolic Bone Disorder
    She went through the whole experience with me when our ig started showing signs of MBD. The scariest part was when we realized he couldn't use his legs at all and then started having minor seizures. Very scary.
    Good luck with you little one.

16. biochic

Glad to help liljoe. Hope everything works out okay for your little guy and your rent! LOL!