help big time please

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by lil_shy_aries, Aug 3, 2009.

1. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

hello room.
    I need some advice. I bought a snake last week. as I anounced. but I went back to look at the one that I left behind. since zapper was trying to get wheezy when I got him home and listened to her lungs. and heart. (cleared up) thank god. well he was so cold. and stomach empty, eys bulging slightly. named him scardy cat. I couldnt leave him behind. So I bought him.He or they went from the breader which I met 4 1/2 years ago when I bought spooks, he doesnt let them go till they eat 2 pinkies. I got zapper when they pretty much got there probably within a week. but there is a dreastic difference in size. so Im pretty sure they arent from the same litter.
    first thing I did is put him inside my bra. he started to warm up. I got him home he is 17 1/2 inches long 2 1/2 wide, and 5 1/2 oz. 175 kg.? dont know my other math. ( How much does a NEW born weigh?)
    ok. its been 2 1/2 years since I was at this point with a non eater. zapper ate with in 2 hours of being home. full mouse. scardy nope. the first thing he did when he got in the cage was hit the water dish.
    would someone remind me how long I wait till I start to worry, im figuring he hasnt eaten for 3 weeks before I got him out of the place.I was worried about him being deydrated. but he is trying to take care of that himself. im seriously thinking to trading there water out with some pedialite for a few days.
    oh and when I listened to his heart and lungs they were clear and heart was strong and had a great beat no misses, or whishes.
    . I I had to suplament feed and force feed tini tim but he was way bad when I got him. but it was at the 3 week mark at home that I interviened. but he was early.and was told he was a twin in a egg. never read any info on this one. or if it happens. but with helpp with vets he servived.
    I would be greatful for any info, and anyones ideas. please give me your expertis
    thank you
    shy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

ok the only this I really under stood form this jumble of words is that one lucky snake was in your bra :(. Iam guesing that english is NOT your first language. Or you really need to take a few hukd on phonix classes. Iam just saying that I would really help if I coud better understand what you are getting at.
    so, back on topic. How long has the snake in question not eaten, threes weeks or so by your post? that is ok. you have the weight measured, keep track of that! if your BP looses more that 10% of its body weight that its time to do somthing. Your vet can give it a appetite stimulant. I have had a 1 year old BP go 8 months with out eating an lost 3% of its body weight. Than for some reason he started to eat again.
    5.5 oz is close to normal, that 155 grams. fyi 175 kg would be 383 pounds. A new born ball pyhton is useually in the 90-100 gram mark (3.5 oz)

Now a bit of info on getting a stuborn eater to feed.

There could be several reasons your snake is refusing to eat. Stress, mites, an illness or infection, not enough hiding spaces or heat, too high or too low of humidity, etc. First, examine your snake. Does it look healthy? Is it shedding? Also, examine your snakes enclosure. Do you have the proper number of hides? Are your temperature and humidity levels correct? If you're not sure then please refer to a care sheet for your animal or ask around here on this message forums.

So, you've examined your snake and its enlclosure and everything seems fine. In the wild it is not uncommon for a snake to go off feed for months at a time. Some snakes have been known to do that in captivity as well (most notable ball pythons but others as well). Don't worry. If your snake is healthy and its cage is set up properly your snake should be fine. Just monitor your animals weight, if it loses more than 10-15% of its body weight a vet check will be in order, otherwise just keep attempting to feed every one to two weeks.

Here are some tricks that should help you get your snake eating again:

Dangle the prey item about 2-4 inches from the snakes face using forceps. Be patient with a ball python, they may take 5-10 minutes to decide to eat.

With ball python, if you are feeding frozen thawed, make sure that the food is not too cool. Balls like heat and use their heat recieptors. warm rats get a stronger response than a cold rat.

Try toutching the snake with the food. I find that the back of the neck, right at that nice "S" curve that ball pythons like to have in there neck work well. Stroke the "S" curve with the food item and get the pyhton aggitated, some time it will get the snake to strike and take the food, make sure that the cause of the fasting is not a strees issue or this technique will not work well.

If you're feeding frozen/thawed prey, defrost the feeder then immediately refreeze, defrost again and attempt to feed your snake. The process of freezing breaks the cell walls down therfor increasing the scent of the feeder.

If you are trying to feed your ball python mice, try small rats. the sent is different and rat will useually get a stronger feeding response than a stinky mouse.

Dip the prey item into chicken broth, then attempt to feed.

If you're trying frozen/thawed, try a live or stunned prey item

Obtain a live pinkie mouse and a paper bag large enough to hold your snake. Place the snake and the pinkie into the bag then place the bag into the snakes enclosure and secure the enclosure. Leave your snake alone for a few hours to overnight, by morning the pinkie should have been consumed by your snake

Try scenting the feeder. You can use commercially available products for this or you can ask your local petstore for soiled gerbil bedding or a live gerbil to rub around your feeder. After scenting the feeder attempt to feed your snake.

Try a different sex of feeder. Some show a preference for males or females

Offer a different color. In the wild snakes will come across mice and rats that have more color than the typical white that you'll find most commonly sold. Ask around to try and obtain one with more color.

Braining.. This is not for the faint at heart. Take the dead feeder and make an incision from the shoulders up acorss the head, exposing the brain, then attempt to feed your snake.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.