Help, Advise, Suggestions for Tree frog tads?

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by stina3246, Nov 17, 2007.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

We think it is a green tree frog that keeps laying eggs in our horses water trough. Unfortunately horses drink a LOT of water and when we fill the tank back up it kills the little taddies. This time we scooped them all out and have them in a bucket. We decided to take 3 of them and put them in a little tank in the house. It’s been about 1 week and the 3 in the house are EASILY 2x bigger then the ones in the bucket. The ones in the tank are begining to look like they may be sprouting arms and legs soon but the water is SUPER dirty. Is there a reason for this or am I crazy? How do I keep them clean without killing them? why are these guys so BIG? ALSO, I’d love to let the tadpoles live in the trough because they do a GREAT job keeping the mosquitoes away. Is there a way to keep them healthy while in the trough? Obviously I can’t use any chemicals because of the horses. If not what should I do with them all? We end up with about 150 tads at a time, every couple of months.
    Anyone have suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

The chlorine is what kills them when you refill the trough. It will evaporate in 24 hours. If you put the tadpoles in a bucket for 24 hours and return them to the trough after that, they should be fine. I understand you have to be careful with the horses, but it's worth researching the chemicals. I'm pretty sure all they do is neutralize the chlorine, so I think it would be safe for the horses as well. Of course, don't just take my word for it. I don't know anything about horses.

The water inside is probably a different temperature. Changing the temperature will cause them to grow at different rates.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stina3246

stina3246 Member

OK....so just like fish they need the de-chlor stuff. I'll have to check with the vet if it's ok for the horses. Although I'd be buying gallons of the stuff 'cause the horses can drain a trough in about 1 1/2 days.
    Next question. Can I feed then regular fish food? That's what the guy at the pet store told me but now I've had one guy say they need food that sinks and another tell me they need food that floats.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. merebear843

merebear843 Embryo

Donot feed tadpoles frog bites!

Okay I have read tons of articles saying that the frog or tadpole bites are NOT good for the frogs! I had tadpoles and feed them bloodworms (not freezed dried)