Helix vs. Herpstat I

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by DaCubs, Nov 25, 2005.

1. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I'm looking to pick up a proportional thermostat for the leo enclosure I'm building now, and I have it down to the Helix DBS1000 and the herpstat I. If anyone has any comments or feedback on those, please share. Or if you have a similar-costing proportional therm you use, chime in.
    I hope to everything purchased and construction underway soon, so I'm not giving people much time to help me, but at least there'll be a thread that may help out someone else in the future.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

i got the herpstat and i love it. its very easy to use, small, accurate, tamper proof, and has a nice bright display.

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I've got helix and I love 'em. Easy to use, small, accurate, tamper proof, has a nice bright display if you shine a flashlight on 'em :)

hehe.

I honestly couldn't tell you which are the better of the two, but I do like the Helix ones. I've not used the herpstat ones at all, but I was considering picking one up to give 'em a try. I do hear very good things about the herpstats, although I do like my Helix stats :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Justcage

Justcage New Member

"Hi Matt,
    I have a thermostat emergency!! I spent all day Sunday setting up the new flexwatt I got from you, only to find out that the Helix I got is worthless...it's basically a $130.00 thermometer! It won't adjust the temps. I'm trying to get it replaced, but I'm now in a SERIOUS bind. I need a thermostat yesterday (has anyone invented a time machine yet?)."
    :shock:

I get this type of email about 5 times a week now.. Stay away from Helix until they can get their act together and their product line back the way it used to be.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

That could be why I'm not having problems that others describe. My hardware comes from "the way it used to be" era. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Justcage

Justcage New Member

Yup, its a shame when the quanity becomes more important than the quality. This has all happened in less than one year.. Thats why I stopped carrying them, got tired of having 3-10 returns a week..lol

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction matt, as soon as i get my next stack of cages half way done, i'll be hitting you up for a bunch more stuff!

~Will.

13. Justcage

Justcage New Member

No problem, just dont like to see someone spend money on somethign tat will not do what they need it to do..

14. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

Have no problem with my Helix..... it was bought last spring.

15. njb2345

njb2345 New Member

I have 1 helix and 2 of the herpstats 2. They are both great. If you think you are going to need more then one later on then I would get the herpstat 2 because it controls 2 different tanks/cages/bins with 2 different temp probes. Also the thing that is a little better with the herpstats is that you really don't need any extras like the helix. They are both really accurate but herpstat shows you the readings in decimals which i think is a little cooler but they are both good unit.

Nick

16. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

hmm... my Helixes show the temp in decimals too :)

17. njb2345

njb2345 New Member

axe....really with the Helix DBS1000 unit also?

Nick

18. ssscales

ssscales Member

I have three Helix DBS1000's and I love them, I use them in cages, racks and even with incubators. I can't say I have any complaints.

19. njb2345

njb2345 New Member

ssscales - you does it in decimals on your helix units...

20. ssscales

ssscales Member

They don't break it down into decimals. I double check my temps with a RayTek temp gun and they are as steady as can be.

21. ssscales

ssscales Member

The display has a resolution of 1.0 degrees Farenheight, but the internal resolution is calculated to 0.25 degrees Farenheight.

Here is the link:
    http://www.helixcontrols.com/prod_dbs1000.htm

Like I said before, I have no complaints. I'm sure there are a lot of great thermostats out there, I just don't feel the need to try everyone. Find what works for you and your set up and stick with it.

22. njb2345

njb2345 New Member

Sounds good, i have mine set to 85 degress but i don't see 85.4 degress like some other people see.

Nick

23. Justcage

Justcage New Member

Nick you will not see anything but the 3 digits on the readout. The Helix reads the temps at a .25 so they say..

24. ssscales

ssscales Member

You won't see that on the DBS1000's, not sure if those reading decimals have an older model.

25. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Mine aren't the DBS1000's. They actually have no model number printed on them, but "Helix Controls" written all over the place, heh.

If you look at their homepage.

http://www.helixcontrols.com

It's the one BEHIND the DBS-1000 in their lil 3-stack image there, the one with the programming unit sitting in the top of it.