heatlamp wire melting

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by outcold720, Jun 11, 2004.

1. outcold720

outcold720 Member

i have a heat lamp and i have it on for about 10 hours a day but the problem is that the wire that hooks up to the cemiric (if thats how you spell it) thing the light bulb goes into is melting because of the heat my dad keeps complaining that he smells it when ever he comes home is ther anything i can do to stop it?

thanks
    Eric

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TomServo

TomServo New Member

yea.. stop using it and throw it away... that is a fire hazard.. What is the bulb wattage and the heat lamp rating? The buld should be equal to or lower than the fixture rating. It should not melt or do anything like that (use to raise fowl.. so we had heat lamps on 24/7).

I suggest getting a new fixture.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cd

cd Member

If I was you, I'd buy a fixture at home depot or something. I used to always spend tons of money buying the pet store pieces of crap, which would melt, or break in some other way. But the ones in hardware stores were a third of the cost, they stand heat better, and I have had them for a long time.
    -Cristine

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. caliking

caliking New Member

yeah throw it away and get another bulg. Make sure it is a lower wattage. Keep the photoperiod the same.