Heating for Amazon Tree Boa Cage?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by garrettm, Jul 6, 2010.

1. garrettm

garrettm Embryo

I am wondering what is the best way to heat an inverted 20 long cage for an ATB? Should I use an infared light on the side, or just use an uth on the bottom? Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. snakewhisper

snakewhisper Embryo

gotta say under the tank when i use heat lamps on mine they seem to dry out more and have shedding problems they do much better with heat from underneath

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BOA.NOTE

BOA.NOTE Embryo

I would say use both, depends where you placed your cage sets in your house. If it's already in a warm place, sometime just using an infrared light is enough. In any case I recommend to take your thermometer & check the air temp inside the cage constantly. As you kept ATB, you see your snake spend time neither on the branch nor on the floor. The point is to make the whole air inside the cage warm, not only the floor, so that your snake can choose wherever it feels comfy. BUT be careful not to make your cage too hot. As snakewhisper said, dry, overheated cage often causes snakes' shedding problems. Don't forget to add humidity to the cage with a big water bowl, wet shelter and atomister especially in Winter.