Heating a corn's tank & temperature

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Bacardi, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

I just need to get the termperatures ok, at th moment it is at 85 as hot as it gets but more like 80 to 83.

i know i've gone over this alot about my setup, but here it is again :wink:

i have a small tank inside a big tank, the small one is for the baby corn snake i will soon be getting, which willbe transfered to the bigger when it is larger, and i am using the heat from the basking plate on the inside of the top of my big tank to heat the small one, sort of acting like a greenhouse.
    With me so far?
    the small plastic tank inside the big one is as follows:
    16 inches Length x 10 inches Depth x 7 inches Height.
    The big tank is:
    4 foot Length x 1.5 foot Depth x 2 foot height.
    I also have a UV or UVA/B :? :? for light purposes only. :? :?:

Anything wrong so far?

The temperature in the small tank which will be used until my hatchling is too big is in the region of 80 ish. however because of the size of the tank there is harldy any change from a 'hot side' to a 'cool side'. is this a problem or i it ok because it is fairly small?

Sorry but i really do want and definatly need to get this right.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'm kind of confused. Do you have another snake in the larger tank? I would think it would be easier to just heat the small tank if that's the only tank that will have an animal in it. The reason you are probably having trouble heating is because of the outer tank dissipating the majority of the heat being emitted by the basking plate (which I do not understand at all). You could also just put the corn in the large tank as long as it's heated properly and the baby corn has plenty of places to hide. They don't like being out in the open becuase it makes them feel too exposed. I would just do one or the other, unless I'm really not getting what you're doing. The 80-83 degrees temps aren't dangerously low. I always recommend around 85, maybe a few degrees higher as long as there is a good hide box on a cool side of the tank to escape the heat, but I don't buy into that 90 degrees or higher idea. Way too warm in my opinion. Other people may disagree however and to each their own. If the tank is too small to delineate a hot side from a cool side, then I would use the larger tank unless you can provide a suitable hide that remains cool enough on the inside so the snake can retreat during the day.
    Sorry if I didn't answer your question completely. I'm just a little confused on the setup.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

thanks, its ok ~ its a confusng setup lol.

first off - i haven't got any snakes or any animals in either tanks yet.
    and the small tank would only be temporary for a very short time however i don't know how long it takes for them to outgrow it.

i was told that once the snake gets longer than the length plus the depth of theenclosure, they need 'upgrading' to a larger tank.

the thing is i dont even have a cool side and hot side in the larger tank! -
    there are 4 small plastic ventilation grids, two on each side of the tank, maybe if i closed one up in the hot end it would raise the temperature there and there would be a better a difference. :?