heat source for medium critter keeper

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Cali, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Cali

Cali Embryo

I'm trying to get the temps regulated before we get our baby crested. We're using a medium size critter keeper (~8w x 12l x 8h), half log hide and small plant hide. The temps in our house are high 60s day, low 60s night, so seems like I need to get it a little warmer. I have a 60w Dayglo bulb and a 50w Nightglo bulb that could be used (or not). I have one desk lamp with a bendable neck for the bulbs (I could set it a distance from the tank). Would the light of the Dayglo bother the crestie, since there aren't a ton of plants? Would Nightglo all day & night bother her? Should I instead use a human heating pad set on low wrapped in a bath towel under the cage? Thanks very much for any replies.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i would use the nightglow lamp all day this way not to really bother her. have you measured the temps with the lights on? you also will want to invest in a bigger tank.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cali

Cali Embryo

Thanks for the advice - I'll try the Nightglo. Today I had the heating pad on low, most of the day and it brought the temps up to 72. I felt the bottom of the cage and it was still cool, so I guess it would be safe. I'd want to check it a lot. Do you think the bulb would be safer? It's such a small cage - I guess that's what makes it tricky since it could heat up so fast. We'll definitely get a larger cage. After reading about babies needing a relatively small one, the medium critter keeper seemed about right - but now with all the furnishings, it's not so big! We'll probably get a L or XL keeper very soon, and then later something like a 16x16x24 screen or partial screen arboreal cage. Thanks again.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

well as long as the top is in the 70s and the bottom is cooler then it should be fine. screen cages arent good for cresties because of how hard it is to keep up humidity. a 20high is good or i think they are called 29tall

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cali

Cali Embryo

It's such a dinky tank, I didn't think of getting a probe but probably should have. I'll do that, or get a second thermometer since I'll need it for the larger cage anyway. I have Exoterra therm and hygrometers about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank.

In another post I saw a beautiful glass Exoterra vertical tank with doors in the front and screen just on top. I bet it's expensive though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

screen tops are fine, but all screen cages are terrible to keep humidity. almost any tank with a sliding front is expensive unless you make it yourself