Healthy Stools

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Syzurp, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Syzurp

Syzurp Embryo

Since the Uro has been home I kept his diet the same but added spring mix (minus dark/red leaf) bok choy, dandelion greens, organic frozen green beans, peas, and carrots, butternut squash, Apple, Bannana, and the occasional mango. He was pooping great the first 4 days 3-4 times per day, now it has been another 4 days and he hasnt pooped since. Is this a normal thing or should I be worried of compaction or something to that extent, Ive noticed ever since Ive had him he layes flat front arms to the side or straight back and the rears flat and bottoms up.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Syzurp

Syzurp Embryo

I dont know why I even posted about this, everything has cleared up and he is going to the bathroom daily back down to 1-2 times a day, very solid dark green stool with an off-white cap that resembles a tiny dried corn kernel.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Sorry I missed this post but to answer the first post questions. It may have been simply the change in diet that caused the problem, also the change in his enviroment to proper care.
    Looking at what you feed him now, I would suggest a few changes. The spring mix is good as it usually has Endives (Frisee), Escarole and Radicchio, if it's the same as we have here in the UK, there is no need to remove the dark leaves as the other ingedients balance it out, making it a good staple food.
    I would cut out the green beans, peas and bananas as these are very high in Potassium.
    Idealy the Calcium: Potassium ratio should be 2:1 but this would make feeding very difficult so we have to find a balance along the way.
    I found this link through the USDA site, called "what's in the food we eat", simply type in the food you wish to check, I usually use the measuring criteria of 100grs and 1 serving. Nutritional values
    I searched peas, green beans and bananas and got these results.

Peas :
    Calcium (mg) 25
    Copper (mg) 0.176
    Iron (mg) 1.47
    Magnesium (mg) 33
    Phosphorus (mg) 108
    Potassium (mg) 244
    Selenium (mcg) 1.8
    Sodium (mg) 5

Green beans
    Calcium (mg) 37
    Copper (mg) 0.069
    Iron (mg) 1.04
    Magnesium (mg) 25
    Phosphorus (mg) 38
    Potassium (mg) 209
    Selenium (mcg) 0.6

Banana
    Calcium (mg) 5---- 0
    Copper (mg) 0.078------ 0.005
    Iron (mg) 0.26------ 0.02
    Magnesium (mg) 27--- 2
    Phosphorus (mg) 22--- 1
    Potassium (mg) 358------- 21

The two sets of figures for banana are 100grs and a single slice.

As you can see the C:p ratio is way out.

This may have been the cause of lack of poo.
    Use them as treats, maybe once a month.

The position he lays in is perfectly normal, he's chilling out and maximizing the the use of the heat. Mine will sleep like that for hours.

On to your second post.
    I'm glad things are back to normal, bathroom wise, you were right to be concerned.
    Have you had a fecal check done for parasites, the reason I ask is the colour, it is usually brown and the urate is white, green can indicate the presence of parasites. This may simply be the diet but a fecal check would be prudent. Any vet can do a fecal, doesn't have to be a rep vet. Treatment is easy depending on which parasites, if any, he has, they can be cleared within a couple of weeks.
    Hope this helps a little.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Syzurp

Syzurp Embryo

Thanks for the website!! I have actually been holding off on going to our vet until Sherman has his next booster shot set which is in about 2 and a half weeks as he is about 30 miles away from my house. He handles reptiles but has never handled Uromastyx which is my only concern.

I was reading yesterday on Uromastyxworld about snalt production and I have noticed that I have gone from wiping his nose of blockage about once a day to sometimes 3 times a day. I was beginning to wonder a little about that so I will have to say that basically solved my question about it.

This is his daily mix...

Spring Salad mix minus red cabbage, dark leaves, and red leaf lettuce. I add grated butternut squash, grated carrots, Bok Choy no stalk (he hates it), dandelion greens, alfalfa greens, small amounts of kale, sweet corn kernels, collard greens, a little extra endive, 1 green bean cut into 1/8 chunks, and about 3 peas. I dust this mix with finely ground 15 bean soup dust (white and red kidneys removed) twice per week.

Also 2-3 times per week I offer a bowl of fruits Apple, pear, mango, papaya, and a couple small blueberries. This is dusted once per week with T-Rex's Uromastyx dust.

At all times he has a bowl of Rep-Cal Juvenile Iguana Food in his tank, and has only been offered water once. I am thinking about supplementing a cactus pear instead of the water as the water inside the cactus pear shouldnt make the tank as humid as a lid of water.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I can understand about going to vet, so just take a fresh sample when you go. If you are experiencing cold weather, I would not take him in person, a 60 mile round trip will not do him much good. If you vet has handled reps before then a uro shouldnt be a problem for him.
    If you have a set of digital scales you can always weigh him at home and just tell vet, if it turns out he does have parasites he will know what dosage to give if he has weight, do it in grams as well, thats what they use.
    I shouldn't worry about the snalt he will deal with it himself, rubbing nose on the hides/rocks etc. I think this will reduce if you stop using frozen veg, they do contain a lot of salt. I can guarantee my egyptian will do it all over the glass doors, everytime, makes a right mess :D I never have to clean him, he does it himself on the slate rocks I have.

Are you a chef??? because he has a 5* menu there :huh:
    Two more suggestions from that list, only use fruit once a week and only very small amount, there is a lot of sugar in fruit.
    There is no need for a water dish in cage, you can always wash the salad and shake off the excess, he will get all he needs from that list.
    I would also cut out the Kale as this is very high in oxylates which prevents calcium absorbtion.
    When the iguana dry food is finished try tortoise food instead, it is much closer to a uro diet.
    Another thing you may wish to add, that is a small dish of finch seed and leave in cage and he will snack on it if he wishes, mine does. The seeds act as roughage to aid digestion. There would be no need for the 15 bean soup dust then.

Something I should have mentioned about that site, when you enter the food always add "raw" to it, otherwise you will get far to many results like I did when I just put banana in, getting banana splits, banana sundae, banana fritters :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. uro_fan_

uro_fan_ Embryo

The 2:1 C:p ratio actually refers to a calcium to phosphorus ratio not potassium.

I am curious, what is your user name on UW?