Healthy-Cal Calcium water dish?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Cherin, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Cherin

Cherin New Member

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I don't really like the idea of it - Not to mention most beardies aren't big on drinking standing water to begin with. I always prefer to keep supplements separate and provide fresh clean drinking water; makes it easier to jusdge exactly what is going in them and keep a proper schedule = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cherin

Cherin New Member

That's what I was thinking, I'll just keep dusting the crickets and mealies haha!
    Thanks for your imput though. I don't even know what kinda lizard that would be good for? I couldn't see leos really needing it...?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Probably none, lol. I'd say its one of those products like hot rocks or some unnessary thing that looks useful but really isn't all that great. I'd much prefer fresh water to drink from and I'm sure the herps would too; and because its difficult to keep track of how much the animal is drinking it would be impossible to regulate a consistent supplement shedule with accuracy. I like knowing that my reptile ate 'X' dusted insects with 'Y' supplement - and really healthy herps one a regular supplement routine have no need for an additional supplement source.

Even breeding reptiles or those with MBD - I'd prefer know they have fresh water (there is a chance that calcium water would not taste as good or have some other effect where they may not drink as much as they should) and that I am controlling intake of supplements. These animals would be given slightly specialized care by more supplementation or specific type of supplementation respectively (i.e oral Calcium glubonate treatment for MBD).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cherin

Cherin New Member

makes total sense haha, almost like sand or the vita sand everyone thinks looks nice but doesn't think of the herp. :)