Have a Question

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by patrick7564, Jun 5, 2004.

1. patrick7564

patrick7564 Embryo

Ok if a iggy get out of your house and is gone for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks what do you think the chances of it making it way back home or finding it way back home! I just wondering????? Tell me what you think

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I've heard of a lot of people finding their iguanas after they've been lost. But then again, there are soooooo many more that never see them again. They climb into trees, get hit by cars, killed by dogs or wildlife, picked up by animal control when they're found by strangers. The list goes on and on. That's not mentioning all of those that die because of weather, diet, and starvation. You just have to always, always, always, keep an eye on them and don't let them wander around alone. That's why I don't support free-roaming iguanas in the home, they get out easily.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nicolerussell

nicolerussell Embryo

call all the animal control people in your area to be alerted that a pet is missing and leave your number...if he should turn up they will at least know where to call. Good Luck :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. germfodor

germfodor Embryo

ok, so I registered just in order to reply to your lost ig message!--

I, too, have been through the stressful ordeal of trying to locate an iguana which escaped outdoors- twice. Once with success and once with tragedy.

If it was only a few weeks ago that you lost your iguana, you should find it somewhat heartening that it's now July, therefore, if you're located anywhere in the Western hemisphere, you've got several months to organize an iguana stake-out. Your lizard is surely doing just fine and having a blast outdoors in the treetops.

I know both from hearsay and my own experience that iguanas don't tend to wander too far from home, but I also know that they probably won't show up at your doorstep of their own accord, and also that they really are designed to be wonderfully camouflaged.

Depending on how much time you are able to spend looking for your lost ig, I can give you some searching tips (I'm at: germfodor@earthlink.net), but really the most useful thing you can do is make a "Lost Ig" flyer and give copies to every single neighbor within 1/4 mile--it's most likely that someone else is going to spot your ig just by chance. (Or in my case- the neighbor's cat did...) And I'd place bets that the iguana is not going to be within easy reach - so be prepared to climb some trees and jury-rig some capturing equipment.

Good luck. I really hope you find your lizard.

-Germaine

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. caliking

caliking New Member

slim chance