Harlequin Crested Gecko

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by CrestedGecko1991, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

.....well, you got lucky then, that's all i can say.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

I'm not questioning her knowlegde about Rhacs, hell.....she wrote a book on them, whether it's any good or not is yet to be seen......I won't buy it, but that's besides the point.

Jeffery, ur right when saying she keeps them in small enclosures....even sub-adults are in shoe-box sized enclosures and that's way too small.....I bouth mine as a sub-adult, 6mos. old, she said (he) was feeding on babyfood (peach/turkey) AND Crickest.....never said ( I ) had to feed him. After a few days of him not eating, i was worried, naturaly & asked some friends in my other forum.....who said give him some time to settle in & not to panic yet....so i did. Well after a week I noticed that he still hadn't eaten ANY crickets......so I gace him some babyfood off a spoon, which he devoured & i was estatic.....so i mixed a batch up & filled the lid & put in in his viv.......he never touched it.

I tried the crickets again.....nothing. Next day I put another batch of babyfood in there, knowing he loved it.....never touched it.....was like he didn't know how to hunt for his food. So I immediatley thought his viv was too big. I get on the phone & make a call to Ohio.....I talk to Hampner.....she "don't know why he's not eating.....he ate just fine for her". (naturaly). I told her I fed him exactly what she said she was giving him.....she asked me what i was keeping him in....I told her.....she said....."oh my, no.....you must put him in something much smaller for now, til he gets a bit bigger......I only keep ther in a shoe box type container". Well no [edited for content] wonder lady, cripes!

So I go out & get a larger critter keeper set up for him, thinking this will be ok.....but now he's gonna have to settle into this one as well......here we go again, well before you know it I'm force feeding this poor gecko with a [edited] serynge......it's amazing he still has his tail through this.

That was a year and a 1/2 ago and til this day, he has yet to lear how to hunt for crickets on his own & I personally think that she's a [edited] liar & sold knowingly me a a sub-adult gecko who didn't know how to hunt for crickets. He's a harly. partial pinsrtipe, and if my wife wouldn't have fell in love with him that day.....i would've never paid $135 for him, cuz I got another one that was a juvie & twice as striking for only $35 the same day. I was almost tempted to bring him back at the next show for a refund, but my wife wouldn't let me......like i said, she fell in love with him, to this day.....he's her baby, she feeds him every week, bless her.

Pardon my rant.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

First of all it is well known with crested's the color can change drastically between offspring and it is fairly unpredictable to know what one will end up looking like so you accusing her of being a liar I think is completely unjust and an unfair accusation.

Secondly, just because your particular animal did not act the way you think it should really has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on Robbie Hampner. Whose to say the environment you had this animal in just wasn't working well for it? Whose to say everything that didn't go right with this wasn't your fault? After all, all the problems you mentioned are while the animal was in your care. You really think it was Robbie's fault that your crested, in the environment you put it in, would not eat crickets? Personally I do not see how you can possibly come to this conclusion.

If you think her prices are high that's perfectly fine and you have every right to think that but the conclusions you have made about her, in my opinion, are completely unjustified and it really sounds to me like you're just frustrated about the situation and not what Hampner has done. You gotta blame someone right?

Also, your post has been edited as we do not allow symbols to bypass our langage filter in The Reptile Rooms. Here is a link to the rules if you would like to review them.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-6425.html

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I called my friend yesterday, he was keeping the crestie in a 29 gallon enclosure when it was only 3 months old. That concludes that it was his fault for putting a small juvie in a large enlcosure before it was old enough to be in one such a size.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

"it is fairly unpredictable to know what one will end up looking like so you accusing her of being a liar I think is completely unjust and an unfair accusation."
    I never accused her of lying about that, if you read my post right.....you would've seen what i accused her of.

I know what all the crestie morphs are & i also know that they change drasticly from hatchling to adult, that wasn't even the poin I was making.

"Secondly, just because your particular animal did not act the way you think it should really has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on Robbie Hampner."
    Oh, really.....and how would you expect a sub-adult crestie to act when it comes to feeding time? Don't you think I asked her what he was feeding on prior to purchasing him? I was only following HER orders.....so why wouldn't it have NO bearing on HER?

"You really think it was Robbie's fault that your crested, in the environment you put it in, would not eat crickets? Personally I do not see how you can possibly come to this conclusion.
    "

yes, I do....because, 1. he was used to living in a shoebox (which i wasn't told up front) and 2. she should've told be he prefered babyfood instead of crickets..

"If you think her prices are high that's perfectly fine and you have every right to think that but the conclusions you have made about her, in my opinion, are completely unjustified and it really sounds to me like you're just frustrated about the situation and not what Hampner has done. You gotta blame someone right? "

I do think she's over priced, again....my opinion. Completely unjustified conclusions.....that's ur opinon.

Frustrated.....you bet, about the situation (she has put us in). So, ur right...I gotta blame someone.....I blame her.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wideglide

Okay, my fault about your accusation of her lying. You were actually accusing her of being a liar because you think she knowingly sold you a gecko who didn't know how to hunt crickets. Well, and this is my opinion, that sounds like a ludicrous accusation to me. I seriously doubt Robbie is going to purposly take a gecko she knows does not know how to hunt for crickets and sell it to someone without saying something to them. If you read her book you'll see she really is fond of these geckos and I don't think that's something she would do to one of them. In every aspect she comes off as being a caring individual.

Granted, you have your opinion and I have mine. My personal experience with Robbie is that she is a real sweetheart and took the time with me to answer every question I had. When I was at her booth there were others standing there as well and she made me feel like I was the only person there. I walked away from her table with a very positive feeling about the whole experience. I think it is unfortunate your gecko will not hunt crickets but I also think it's just one of those things that can happen for unknown reasons and unless you can give some more evidence Robbie was deceitful and convince me she is that type of person I have to think you're just frustrated and being a little quick with your judgement.

12. Carlos_n_Paco

Carlos_n_Paco Member

"When I was at her booth there were others standing there as well and she made me feel like I was the only person there. I walked away from her table with a very positive feeling about the whole experience."

...and so did we, absolutely....we felt exactly the same way (at that moment), nr am I saying she don't care for her animals either.....but you explain to me why this gecko does not know how to hunt for crickets.....from the very day we brought him home, til the present day we have him, and this is supposed to be an instinctive trait for them? when i toss a cricket in there with him, he actually freezes up.

All in all, like you said, she made an impression on you....you have ur opinion, I have mine......we'll just leave it at that, cuz I don't want this to turn into anything further.

13. wideglide

Fair enough.