Hammock for Beardies: is it safe?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by tazshedevil, Jul 19, 2005.

1. tazshedevil

tazshedevil New Member

I am getting the 33 gal. tank ready for Sweetie and I was wondering if it was safe to include a hammock. The one available in my petstore is called "Repti-Hammock" from ZooMed (http://www.zoomed.com/html/hammocks___ladders.php).

I've been told the Beardies might get stuck in the hammock and get their nails off if they are stuck...

Any suggestions? I have a drift wood that he will be able to climb on (with a stone based), the cave, a rock he can climb on...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

If you're worried about the toenail thing, get a Classy Lizard Hammock.
    http://www.classylizard.com/

They were made with that problem in mind, to avoid it. I have one and it works nicely.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tazshedevil

tazshedevil New Member

Thanks a bunch. I'll try to get for both Sweetie and Beast.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. armywife

armywife New Member

I have the Zoo Med hammock and ladder for one of my beardies and she doesn't seem to have a problem getting her nails stuck. In fact she used to spend most of her time on the hammock and when you would take her off and put her on her log she would run back to the hammock. I say used to because we put her in a new cage now and I did not put it back in there. When we build our larger cage she will have her hammock back. I would not buy the hammock and ladder at your local petstore. This includes any brand of hammock, because local pet stores tend to be higher priced. We now support online reptile suppliers.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. FRoST

FRoST New Member

same with my little beardie. i have the green one and he loves it. some times i think he likes it more that he like me. never had nail problems

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

I'm sure it's a pretty rare occurance.

12. Rellik

Rellik Embryo

I have a Green One too... the one that all the stores have. The Dragon loves it. Moves from the log to the hammock alot. D.O.G. likes it right after feeding time.. the belly is full and its not too hot.

I think ... just an opinion.. you can read yourself into a scare...with just about anything. There are basics out there.. like the Nutrition Guide.. READ and HEED. And some others.. like dont use sand.. and things like that. But for the most part.. I have used the Dragon to let me know what is good.. and what is bad. The Dragon is not to my knowledge.. made of glass. So... Use common Sense... and the minute that you think that something is wrong..... ask or stop. But other than that... Have fun and enjoy your friend.

Rellik

13. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

14. BD4TO20

BD4TO20 New Member

I use the zoo med hammock in all my enclosures, Some of my beardies like them some don't. I think all of them are different in their own way. your beardie will let you know what it likes best. Just spend time with your new friend, and you will see.

15. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

We had a hammock in almost all the cages (still do) but we did have one dragon when younger get his nail hung up in it and ripped the poor thing out and was bleeding. this was about 3 years ago and of course he still does not have a nail :) I felt so bad and we also ordered several of the Classic Lizard Hammocks.

On the other hand we have used the mesh ones again at times and not had a problem, so it is something that can happen, but does not always happen

16. tazshedevil

tazshedevil New Member

Thanks. I'll get 2 today for Beast and Sweetie.

17. brandonbb89

brandonbb89 New Member

ya it is fine for beardies. Acually I have one.

18. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

can the hamock stick to adesive fake wood cover... it the stuff that covers the wood on cheep cabinets... that are made of MDF...

19. alison1

alison1 Member

l have the zoo meds hammock and ladder in my baby viv and they all love it! l've been able to put the ladder on the back pane and the hammock starts next to it, the other corner is right at the bottom and the other a little higher so it looks like a tent and they really love it! The first time they went on they just started running up and down it and jumping on each other! l didn't think beardies 'played' like this but they are lovely together! l think pretty much everything is the same, you can even buy something as stupid as a stereo and if one person has a problem with it then 'oh, that make is rubbish' it's every individuals opinion! lf you don't try you don't know! Must admit though l wish l didn't know this could happen as my husband is already complaining that l watch the babies too much and ignore him and the kids! lol!

20. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

i don't see why not, you could always tape it to make sure.
    No offense to the 'classy lizard hammock' people, but i got one for the experiance, and my beardies just don't like it. I put them on it and instead of settling down, they will run off it. They can't hold onto it, and either scarbble to run off or slide slowly down.
    I don't see why the mesh is any problem, i have them for my hatchlings-Juvies.
    -Sara

21. Freaky_pete

Freaky_pete Well-Known Member

Yah I was thinking about it.. Im putting a rock wall in it I I can attach it and make it part of the wall too