Gut load?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by HMWH, Aug 19, 2004.

1. HMWH

HMWH New Member

Couple questions from the new guy

What exactly is gut load? Is it just getting extra nutrients into crickets or mealies?

What is the easiest way? What brand products do u guys use?

I have a male? Tokay

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Gekkojoe

Gekkojoe New Member

Hey again HMWH, gut load is pretty much like you said, just extra nutrients for the crickets, but in turn the healthier the cricket the healthier it is for your gecko, otherwise your just feeding him bulk, cuz crickets are basically just an exoskeleton with legs. I think most stores sell their crickets gutloaded, not positive though, so ask before. They have to be gutloaded 24 hours before you should feed them to your gecko. I don't know the brand but the kind i recommend is in cubes and it looks kinda like jello. Don't forget to feed your guy a pinkie every now and then too when he gets big enough. good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

u culdve posted this in the feeder forum :wink:
    anyway most stores sell gut load. u can also use apples, carrots, potatos, dog food (dry) fish flakes. and other stuff

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HMWH

HMWH New Member

thank you for the info, i stopped by a petco and saw the Flukers Jello looking stuff

I didnt know that u could use carrots etc, 2 feed them, thats kewl

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bitten

bitten New Member

The jello stuf is OK for Crickets(It can get expensive!), Mealies need a grain based, much drier, gutload. DrGecko has a formula. Carrots/ potato and/or apples will supply mealies with needed moisture!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. herpslave

herpslave Member

Alot of posts about this have just dissapeared... So again I will reccomend something. Cricketfood.com has the best gutload for crickets, roaches, supers, mealies ever. but lllrpetile has a nice gutload for crickets. Anyways bye.

12. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

THose cubes are called orange cubes i saw them the other day but dont know who they are made by