Guide to Building Vivariums

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by bruno, Jun 21, 2009.

1. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi All,
    A number of people have now requested the illustrated guide I made on how to build your own.

It's a step by step guide from cutting the timber to assembly.
    The materials used are Plywood for back and Furniture board for the body. This is known under different names, depending where you live.
    Also known as Conti-board or melamine laminated chipboard.
    I recommend 15mm thick for vivariums up to 3ft long, over that I would use the 18mm thick as it is more stable and less likely to warp or twist.

The board system doesn't allow attachments of this type.
    Should you wish a copy, please PM me your Email address and I will gladly send you a copy.

This may be freely distributed to friends etc.

All I ask is that it stays intact with no alterations and Credited to me.

Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i'm making one for a leo i'm getting, the problem is if maybe it can stand the gecko, but i want to make a fake rock background that might be heavy, it's 80x40 will it stands nicely?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. swim007

swim007 New Member

Are you going to make the rock wall out of hard foam?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lil_shy_aries

lil_shy_aries New Member

Hello Bruno
    This is shy, im newely posting on this site. I have 2 bp. 4+ footer and a 2 1/2 feet. I would like your idea pattern and probably to use it.
    or if this helps, im looking at ideas for a wallarium, I think the vavarioum is another word for this..
    If you have an idea for a duel wallarium with ponds on the bottom, that can run a filter, as well as their water. spooks likes waterfalls for his water. guess it makes it taste better. but anyways. a wallarium that can be split to houe 2 snakes but looks good to sit in the living room
    thanks for your time. and your ideas.
    ps. lil_shy_aries@yahoo.com

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi shy,
    I've never even thought of anything like that. I prefer the basic type, easier to keep clean etc.
    The guide is a construction thing, the technique is the same just adjust timber sizes to suit.
    I just happened to be building a small one at the time I did guide.
    Opens in Microsoft Office 2007 so any good office prog will do.
    Hope it helps

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. flameball1989

flameball1989 Embryo

Could you please pm me the guide

12. graylin1

graylin1 Embryo

hey all, new to the site. I'm planning on starting construction on a 4'x3'x2' enclosure for an eastern box turtle. I have plexiglass for the viewing front, and plywood for the walls, and my step-father has materials from his flooring business for me to use as the base. i was gonna make the base at a slight grade and add a drain on one side for excess water from the substrate. my snag is that i want to add a small pond. i found a nice waterfall filter, but am not sure what or how to make a nice pond that wont take up too much room, but will accommodate the medium sized filter. it would need to have a ramp to allow the turtle access as well. any ideas? jaywestside1@yahoo.com

13. DonnaRanee

DonnaRanee Embryo

Hi everyone, I'm also new to the site. I'm planning on building a custom cage also for a savannah monitor. Only problem is...I don't know were to begin.

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Welcome to the forums, DonnaRanee!

How big is the Sav currently? Are you looking to construct and adult cage for him or something to accomodate him while he is a juvenile?

I regret to inform those that posted prior requesting the guide, that our friend and moderator Bruno has passed... He will be remembered and loved by the members of this forum, his family, and friends.

15. яowan.ω

яowan.ω Well-Known Member

When was this?

16. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

17. LikeTwoStars

LikeTwoStars Embryo

18. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I'm sorry LikeTwoStars but Bruno passed away. I don't believe anyone currently on this site has the guide to be able to send you, please look through the enclosure forum and you will find a number of ideas for building vivariums for your specific reptile.