Growing Mulberry Plants

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by nakedjellybean, Mar 3, 2005.

1. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows about mulberry plant care. I am looking to start breeding silkies and would love to just have a mulberry plant here for food.
    I am from Canada and was wondering if anyone could tell me about keeping the plants inside.
    What kind of light do they need?
    What about watering?
    How big do the plants get?
    and most important how many am I going to need to feed the silkies? I am not interested if I have to have an orchard of plants to feed these guys. :D

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, and Thank You in advance.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Unless you are into bonsai, I don't think you can grow a mullberry tree inside. They get really big. I don't think they like cold weather much, but I am no botanist. They grow all over in California, I see them in places in Oregon, but I am not sure if you can grow one successfuly in Canada. Hope this helps :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

Even in bonsai you cant grow outside plants/trees inside and the mulberrys a tree, like napolean said. I know this from expierence, I tried to grow a japanese maple inside and it died. My sister is a horiculturist and she was like,"told ya so", but I thought I could do it(and found out the hard way).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Bonsai can be very misleading (lol) :)
    Here are some links that might be of intrest.
    Here
    and
    Here

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. nakedjellybean

nakedjellybean New Member

Thats great guys, thanks alot for the info. I doubt I will be growing mulberry trees anytime soon. Not until I get my new house, with the 50 foot ceilings. :(

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

Wow. Cool! I wish my house was that big *envys*

12. peterm15

peterm15 New Member

a friend of mine had an oak tree inside (they had to build around it, i know oak are big but im pretty sure that was it), and my school has a ficus.. but mulberry trees CAN be grown in canada, my nana in newfoundland has one outside her place

13. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

Types of ficus are grown inside. Some chameleon owners have ficus in the enclosure. Also I have a bonsai'd ficus with a braided trunk. My dad told me when he went to Columbia they had ficus trees as big around as houses (outside).