Green treefrog requirements

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by NathanT, Dec 7, 2006.

1. NathanT

NathanT New Member

I was thinking of getting a green treefrog. Any idea of what they need in a setup.

Try and keep it a low of a cost as possible. I was thinking of getting everything set up with the my Christmas money (100-150 dollars)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

Eco Earth or Coco fiber brick substraite and real or fake plants water bowl with sring water i use artisan spring water its good for fish so i use it for my frogs you can get gallons of it at wallmart for cheap add electrodize 3 to it to prevent metobolic bone disease. water spray bottle with mistimize conditioner river rocks and climbing wood or climbing decor.
    ZooMed Repti Hammocks so they can sleep with out having to stick to the glass they love it. cricket dust a cricket keeper, Cricket Quencher from Fluker's or a gut load kind. best to stay away from a high calcium criket feed from flukes its only ment to be feed right before feeding as the high calcium will kill your crikets in a couple days onlike the original quencher.
    a full spectrum Fluorescent light and a black or red night light.
    paper towels for cleaning the walls of the cage once a week you dont want to have a build of of shedded skin on the glass it can grow bacteria .Dixie cups help alot to scoop out the poop and any mold or dead crikets in the cage.
    scrubby sponge rinse well before use. Gloves and you can go to your local vet or call and ask to buy 3 oz of nolvasan that will make one gallon its non toxic cleaner its good to use once in awhile. a heat and humidity gage

a Tall fish tank you can stand a regular one on its end thats what i do.
    To save money you can buy the water bowels dishes in a 3 pack and gloves scrubby sponges water bottles solid color wrapping or tissue paper to cover the outside walls ect.. at a Dollor store.

And if you look around the thrift stores you can find fishtanks and metal stands for around or under 50$ total for both i did anyways also they have criket keppers
    sometimes.
    Does that help? i wanted to be more specific then giving u a site to go too.you can check out the thread helpfull list if you havent already for care sheet sites and a safe live plant list and info on sick frogs.

And its always good to research frog illnesses ahead of time like impaction and metabolic bone disease, redleg, fungal skin infections to prevent and take care of it right away if he gets sick. And its important to call around to find a local vet who has taken care of frogs before so you have a plan of action ahead of time.
    well good luck :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

For just a basic setup- Repti-bark, plants (live or fake doesnt matter just watch out for live cuz some are dangerous), exo terra tall tank, big watebowl, some branches, UV lighting.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

I'll tell you what I did for mine, it ends up being mildly low cost.

For mine I have a " box " that I built. Its 18'' deep, 18'' tall, 24'' wide. I just did this with half inch melamine. I have a piece of glass on the front, and its all sealed with aquarium sealant. On the top is just a screen door, can be easily made from scrap wood and a screen.

The mealmine was $10
    Glass was $15
    Screen was only a few bucks $3

I went searching in the woods and found a tree stump, which I then hollowed out, however you can sometimes find them hollow, or you can use any available wood. I let it dry out in the sun for a couple of days, sanded off whatever bark i could. Baked it at 350 degrees to kill any bugs, then sanded it once more to make sure all the bark was off.

This of course is free!

Next, for the substrate I used 1 1/2 of soil. ( no fertizlizers, no pearlite ) over 2 inches of pea gravel.

Soil $2
    Pea gravel $2

I picked up two packs of fake vines from the local arts and craft store.

12 feet of vines $5

Then I also purchased two pothos plants, these can be found at walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. These will help keep your humidity up!

$6

I used a tupperware dish for the water and left a spot in the soil/gravel for it to be submerged.

Free for me, maybe a dollar or so.

$1

A spray bottle can be purchased from the dollar store for another dollar

I then purchased dechlorinating solution, around $8 bucks a bottle.

Next was a " dome " lamp for heat. I purchased one of these from the hardware section at walmart for 5 or 6 dollars.

LastlyI bought a plant light in the fixture for $10

To finish it off I picked up my frogs for 6 dollars a pair at a reptile show.

So all together this comes to around 75 dollars. Its real easy to find some of this stuff around your house. A tank that size can house multiple frogs for their whole lives without issue.

Hope this helps!

Cory.