green tree frog set up

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by jordao_51, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jordao_51

jordao_51 Member

in my 5 1/2 gallon tank i have sphagnum moss on the bottem of the tank. i mst it because i heard frogs drink through their skin. i also have a 15 wat nocturnal bulb.
    is this an appropriate setup?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

is this an american green tree frog? if so, i don't think a 5 1/2 gallon is big enough. these guys are *very* active at night and need a lot of territory. i'd go with a 10 gallon for an american green tree frog.

sphagnum moss is good, but you should also have 1/2" to 1" of coconut fiber bedding (like 'bed-a-beast' brand - typically comes in a brick that you soak in water). you can also use plain topsoil (NO miracle-gro, rocks, perlite, herbicides, etc - just dirt) or a combination of coconut fiber bedding and plain topsoil. do NOT use gravel or woodchips - huge choking and bowel impaction risks.

keep misting down the tank and keep the moss and coconut fiber bedding moist (not soaking wet). the humidity should be about 70% i believe. the do soak up water through their skin and the best way to make sure they get enough water is to provide a small dish of water in the tank for them to sit in. for an american green tree frog, i would not get a dish deeper than 1" at most.

the frog should get some light, so i'd have a day bulb on for about 12 hours and the nocturnal bulb on for the other 12 hours.

i would definately get a larger tank (a 10 gallon is perfect for these guys) and i would also get some coconut fiber bedding, a small water dish, and a daylight bulb. these things all together shouldn't cost more than $15 or $20, but will make a world of difference for your froggie.

best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jordao_51

jordao_51 Member

how big are american green tree frogs. ours is like the size of a quarter.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

american greens are about the size of a quarter. they typically reach 1" to 1 1/2" in length (from nose tip to the tip of their pointy little bottoms :wink: ).

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Hummingbird

hey mescaline that is a beautiful tank! it looks a little dry for a green tree frog setup (they should have a good 75% humidity), but otherwise it looks great.

12. Mescaline

Mescaline New Member

Yeah, it is very dry for them but soon I will be putting the fogger back in and will definatly raise the humidity.

I have not been able to put it in there yet becuase they are always sleeping by the area I want to place it.

13. Hummingbird

gotcha - sounds good!

14. zonie

zonie New Member

hey i have a 10 gal tank with a deep "pond" like 5 inches deep and another one like and inch deep with a tree frog which i need ur help on to make sure it is cuz it when i first got it stcuk to the glass but then it never did again, it sits on the moss all day its pretty big frog too and ussualy walks not hops also i have 2 fire belly toads in there ne ideas if thats a bad mix cuz they dont seem to bother each other

15. Hummingbird

so you have a tree frog in with fire bellied toads? definately not a good idea. it doesn't matter if they "seem" to be bothering each other or not - they are. luckily, it's pretty darn easy to get a tank for the fire-bellieds. they're small and shouldn't need more than a 10 gallon tank.

as for the frog never climbing/"sticking to the glass"/moving see my last post in your other thread in the 'amphibian' folder.

16. zonie

zonie New Member

thanks when i take out the toads ill let u know cuz i still need to know alot!

17. Hummingbird

no problem! ask as many questions as you want - that's what the forum is for! :D

18. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

hhow many green tree frog's in a 20 gallon? ummingbird i was wondering if that w2as a 10 gallon tank upright or regular way? and how many can go in the 10 gallon? i was thinking of ordering 4 of them from reptil depot and was wondering what the requirement's were thank-you sandy.

19. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

mescaline website doesn't work

20. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Flowerchild, this post is a year old. Please dont dig up old posts and post in them. If you have questions about treefrogs, please start your own thread.

21. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

nuggular i just started a new thread for an update since i wasn't on back then why do you put down a thread to come herei when i need answer's on my thread i just started the thread i need to know today's help on gree tree frog's since their are so much confusing help out there i will be getting 4 green tree frog's and i need to know what is needed for the tank size bedding heat water food etc if you can help me fine if not let my thread be answered i have to know thank's sandy we are friend's aren't we let the past be forgotten ok.

22. pigger93

pigger93 Member

hey nuggular its pretty funny though, i can see how she made the mistake most people never look at the year and she got it rite on the button, june 27. :)

23. nuggular

LOL. I can see that too. Lets lay this old a** post to rest. :)

24. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

thank's for nothing guy's

25. nuggular

I dont keep green treefrogs. Sry. This post has quite alot of info on them though. you could just keep looking for yourself too. Alot of people do their own research by going to google.com and searching "Green Treefrog Care". Its really easy.