green tree frog enclosure

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by rhinoviper3, Jun 23, 2005.

1. rhinoviper3

rhinoviper3 New Member

Anyone else keeping green tree frogs and how are they set up.2 weeks ago I noticed tad poles in my water I took them out and put them in a 1 gal. tank. Heres my setup including a little waterfall for humidity, it is a lizard lounge

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

That is a nice tank. I would suggest misting 2 times a day to keep humidity up. Just having water in there wont do it. When the glass gets all foggy then the humidity is good. What do you have for a top. If you have a screen top, either cover it with plastic wrap, or make a plexy glass top for it to hold the humidity in. The fact that you got tads is a good sign though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rhinoviper3

rhinoviper3 New Member

it has a glass top with 2 vents or blocks also has 1 on each side and 2 on the back this way I can control the humidity, when I took the pic had wiped the glass, usually mist about 3 times a week or as needed.
    pic of top
    [​IMG]

pic of one of the side vent or block as needed
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

You should still mist more than 3 times a week. That is not enough. 2 times a day is recommended. at least once a day man. Trust me.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. gadd19

gadd19 Member

i agree with the mistings, but are they live or fake plants...live will enhance the humidity....great setup by the way!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. rhinoviper3

rhinoviper3 New Member

why should I mist so many times a day? last time i misted was Sat. and check out the links of the pics there is water dripping off of the top, the plants have droplets on the plants, and the sides have water on the sides how humid should it be it has to be at least 95% humidity.

http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/0100_0384.jpg
    http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/0100_0382.jpg

12. nuggular

Do you have a humidity guage? I just know that if I didnt mist my tanks at least once a day, they would start to dry up. I am just looking out for you frogs and trying to help out. Do whatever you want, but I would mist once a day.

13. rhinoviper3

rhinoviper3 New Member

okay thanks, I have had this setup for almost a year, maybe my cage is just a better setup, I must be something right because I have tad poles. :D

14. nuggular

My basement that I have my tanks in gets dry so I have to mist more often. Mabye the room you have the tank in just has a higher humidity level and thats why you dont have to mist so often. My office building is crazy humid. If we dont run the dehumidifier, it is 80% humidity in my office and my papers get damp and curl up and stuff. But if you have had it setup for a year with no problems, then do what you've been doing. Good luck with the babies.

15. mhwc56

mhwc56 New Member

I have 4 Green tree frogs and 2 Barking tree frogs in a plexiglas "tank" .The tank is 30" w x 18" d x 24" h it has a screen top. I cover 2/3 of the top to keep the humidity up. I have 2 dishes with water in them( one at each end of the tank).my frogs seem to prefer the more shallow ,darker colored dish even though the deeper dish has the same depth of water in it as the shallow one .
    I have planted cork bark sections suction cupped to the walls of the tank and climbing branches which they mostly ignore(the climbing branches that is-not the bark).
    I keep a small fan running because I have Tillandsia and miniature orchid plants in there as well as other plants and they need the air circulation There's a plant light across one end. The frogs all seem to like the arrangement.
    I spray the tank whenever I think of it ,so at least 4-5 times a day especially since the fan runs during the day. If there's not enough humidity in the tank they tend to get upset and will sit and soak in their water dishes for a very long time.