Green Iguanas in the UK

Discussion in 'UK Forum' started by Grindzewall, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

Hi, I live in the south of england and was just looking at where i could get a green iguana from and how much they cost, please reply if you know anyone who breeds them. On an american site i found they are in pet shops for $10 but in the UK fiji iguanas were being sold for £1600. I really just want to know how much they are and can they be imported to England? Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kavinos

kavinos Member

Grind, Iguanas aren't too difficult to get hold of. Your best bet is to find either a breeder.. or to contact a reptile store who will be able to get you one when they go to a trade fair

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

ok what type of iguana are you after because a fijian iguana will be expensive as it is a protected species. however we have a 2 year old female at work and she is up for sale at £80 - and we know her history. what part of the south of england do you live in? we can order most animals in if you can prove to us you can give the correct level of care needed.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

how many types of iguana are there? and is there much difference in size, personality etc?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

I'd prefer to get a baby ig, as i'm not sure i'd be able to cope with a full grown one straight away, how much could you get one for, Roughly? Thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

Sorry i live in west sussex near brighton (half an hour away)

12. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Well there is the marine iguana - protected species from Galapogos, fijian banded iguana - protected species from Tonga ( but oh my god are they beautiful!) several other fiji iguanas, brown iguana and then the humble green iguana which is the one you're after. Which you can also get a few morphs of - notably albino and red colouring. I'll find out how much they will be roughly, sometimes babies are more expensive. Are you sure you can house something that get's so large? So many Ig's get put up for rehoming once they reach a couple of feet and then people realise that's only a third of their size. Feel free to ask any questions.

13. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

Is there much size difference between the fijian and the green iguana? Also what about the
    "CITES Appendix I"? Thanks

14. kavinos

kavinos Member

There is a lot of difference. The fijian banded will reach a maximum size of 24" (2ft) where as a green iguana will reach about 6ft.

I strongly urge you not to purchase a fijian unless you are seriously looking at breeding them. There an endagered species, a beautiful one at that, and personally I feel that keeping one is putting them furthur at risk.

If you want something more the fijians size perhaps try a plumed basilisk, there nice looking too.

A green iggy can be very rewarding however if you have the space :D

15. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

I'll probably stick to the green ig then. How many fijian banded are there left?

16. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Not many they are being wiped out at an alarming rate in their native islands. There are a few conservation groups breeding them and re-releasing but that is about it. Where did you see one advertised by the way because I looked into joining the breeding group last year. Also we can get baby iguanas for about £30 each - all captive bred.

17. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

It was on another forum can't quite remeber it, they were £1600 each though! Also would i have to go and collect the green ig? and would you have a rough guide on the sex? Thanks

18. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Yes you would have to come and collect the ig - we don't currently offer a courier service as we have not found a firm we wish to entrust our animals with yet. Couldn't tell you the sex until we have them in.

19. Grindzewall

Grindzewall New Member

Is it easy to tell the sex when they are young?

20. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

21. Nick1701

Nick1701 Embryo

It is becoming very difficult to buy an Iguana in stores in the UK, as many are refusing to stock them. There is a good reason for this, as reptile shops are saying that there are so many that are bought as a baby, then not wanted as they grow. One store close to us urges you to start looking for an iguana on one of the many good rehoming sites that you can find online.

However, I got mine a year ago, and she cost my wife £65 as she was my birthday gift. She is now 4ft long, and house tame, whenever we are at home her cage is open and she wanders round the living room, often coming to sit on my knee.

22. trevorgburns

trevorgburns Embryo

i have just got a red ig he/she is about 8mths old and is out when we are home he/she was £80 my wife payed for my xmas presant