Green Basilisk

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by scooter1685, Apr 22, 2009.

1. scooter1685

scooter1685 New Member

I saw a green basilisk in a local pet shop a while ago. Gorgeous animals. In the light they had it looked blue-green rather than really green. From what I've been able to discern about them they are usually more display animals. Few people are able to handle them often, although they're not usually aggressive. They usually feed quite aggressively, however.

Does that sound about right? I'm considering the purchase of a pair of these guys. Maybe make a large display for my Living Room (about 6-7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, 3 feet thick). Set it up so their environment has lots of vines and large-leaved plants, perhaps make half of the bottom into a water dish, etc etc.

My question is, do any of you own these guys? What can you tell me about them and their care? I'm certainly not going to buy them until I've been able to learn about them. I've found a little bit online, as I mentioned in the first paragraph, but not enough to make me confident about keeping them happy and healthy.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi scooter,
    Everything you have said is correct, they are great display lizards, specially if you make a unit that size.
    I used to have two, I thought was a pair, but it turned out that one was a "hot female" in other words looked like a male but wasn't, something to do with the incubation temps, so I was told.
    I could handle mine but had to be careful they have a nasty bite, despite their size. I should say they dont bite often, just be aware of it.
    A large water dish/tray/bowl is needed but must be easily accessible, they poop in there regular, needs to be fairly deep as well, with low branches over it, they will often drop into water from them. The lower part of tank needs to be very water proof, water goes everywhere.
    Mine were fed a diet of crickets and locust dusted with calcium and vits. I used to put crickets in a deepish dish, it kept them there till eaten, which didnt take long ...lol.
    They need UVB but they also need being misted or foliage sprayed to keep humidity up, so care is needed in placing the UVB etc. I used the Powersun 100w which kept the temps about right along with a CHE.
    I wouldn't call them "high" maintainance but they do take daily care, cleaning etc.
    They do make a beautiful display.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scooter1685

scooter1685 New Member

Thanks for that. Good to have input from someone with experience regarding these specific lizards.