gravid yellow ackie pics and cage

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by varanidfan, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

go for it, they're good pets. But if you want a good pet, I just got a black&white tegu a week ago. I've never had a tegu before, always owned monitors, but I will definetly buy another one. I never knew what awesome pets they could've made. After only two days he was feeding out of my hands, he also begs for his food now by standing up on his back legs like a dog, he's totally docile and very friendly. Also he doesnt like to just hide, he always wants to be out and about and is extremely curious and entertaining. I just couldn't believe that I've never given them any thought before. Plus they get to be around the 3-4ft range, kinda what you're lookin for.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ok

by "others" i meant other monitors, my whitethroats in particular, i didnt mean ackies, i should of clarified sorry about that, ackies are small monitors rarely exceeding 24", reds are bigger than yellows, but yellows are slightly more tolerant of humans, reds are kinda flighty. sorry about the confusion. Ackies can be housed in 30 gal tanks with non sreen tops, to hold in moisture. they are perfect little compact easy to care for monitors.
    good luck, lots of people should have them soon.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

How big of an enclouser do Tegus need?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ryzard

ryzard New Member

same size as a sav, since they are about the same length. Argentine black&white tegus get around 5ft I hear, so you would give him an enclosure like you would if you were going to get that blackthroat you were talking about. I have a columbian, and he is the sweetest animal I have ever had, but I guess people say that b&w from argentine are even nicer. And bigger though. They don't climb very high, so you don't need a tall tank. My tegu and I shared a turkey sandwich yesterday :-P I just can't believe the difference with them from my monitors, I'm still in shock.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Ah then i cant get a Tegu either. The cage sizes are out of my leauge.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

even for a 3 ft b&w tegu?

12. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

Well. I noticed how much land out new house has but i really dont want to cage him outside. What if it rains? or gets cold? Thatsa no and i cant fit such a big cage in the house without taking up a whole room. If an ackie can get 3 feet why does it only need a 29 gallon onea? and a Tegu need such a bigger cage?

13. ryzard

ryzard New Member

I really don't know, I have never owned a dwarf monitor before, and it's not like tegus climb too much or anything. weird

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

yellow ackies get 2ft, and reds can get up to 3. a tegu is overrall bigger bodied then an ackie is that is why

15. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I do have a big walk in closet....Heh im thinking if i wanna give it up for the monitor if thats even possible to do. You guys did say you can give them a room. Its a big closet very wide too. The celings are 8 feet if anything wants/needs to climb. I can find somewhere else to put my clothes. Heh

16. ryzard

ryzard New Member

That's cool. Make sure you can heat it properly and be able to get in there to clean it. Are you thinkin about doing that for an ackie??

17. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

If i get an ackie im just gonna put it in a 40 gallon tank