grapes ok?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Pima, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Pima

Pima New Member

Ok Ive been looking for a website or anythning that says its ok to give her grapes. They are green unseeded grapes and i plan to peel them before i put them in her cage, but i dont want to make her sick. I know she can have bananas, mangos, peaches, pears, etc..but none of these are in my house, and some never will be, but grapes, we get them alot. thanks for your help!
    BTW she is in her very large, very lavish new cage and very happy with 24" to climb up, we have found out she may actually be semi afraid of heights lol.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Great to hear about the cage = )

Grapes are perfectly fine! They kind of mush up funny - and I get a mixed response from mine. I have a girl that will inhale them and take mouthfulls and the others may take a lick or two... depends on the individual taste I suppose.

Most fruits are going to be okay, just nothing too acidic and avoid anything potentially toxic. I'd avoid lemons, limes, oranges, etc and Avocado because it is known to be toxic to birds and therefore could potentially be dangerous for reptiles.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Pima

Pima New Member

Thanks Jeff!! we gave her a lil banana other day and she LOVED it (went to store to get them after reading they were ok.) You may have just made her day!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I've found that banana tends to be relished by the majority of mine, with peach being a very close second. I've also had pretty decent responses to apricot, mango, and papaya. They all have their nutritional pros, so variety never hurts. Papaya for example is very high in calcium, mango in vitamin A (carotene) and many have a decent amount of vitamin C amongst a long list of other good things. Fruits are always a great way to positively associate handling/human interaction with a tasty treat too.

One thing you can look into is the 2-Part Crested Gecko Diet, they use nectars in powdered form of a wide array of flavors including those I mentioned above. I have a female who loves the occasional lick or two of honey, and several others who enjoy a rare treat of peach yogurt (careful if buying yogurt, it needs to have no sugar added and must have active cultures to aid in the metabolism of the lactose).

I've always been a bit of a naturalist - I like to keep mine in naturalistic vivaria and give a wide variety of options to the diet. I do like the Repashy superfoods (CGD) and I use it as a food source, but I like to use the diet along with the two part diet to provide some flavor variety and some occasional treats in the form of babyfood, fresh fruit puree, etc and they all get either dubia or lateralis roaches once weekly. I don't want to get off topic, but I guess what I'm getting at is there are always more than one way to raise reptiles - so don't be afraid to experiment a little and give your geckos some variety if thats something you're into doing. A lot of people seem to be caught up with the almighty power of feeding solely CGD, and it works! But that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to raise an animal that aren't right - if that makes sense. But... I digress =P

:p