Got Butterworms...

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by caredeocr, Oct 27, 2004.

1. caredeocr

caredeocr New Member

Got 25 butterworms in the mail today, figured Id give my beardie a change. I didnt realize how big they were but they are softbodied so no big deal. I put on in front of Homer...he was immediately attracted to it (lots of movement, bright colors). He bit into it, crushed it, and then spit it back out. Guess he didn't like the taste. I hope he gets to like them because they were expensive. Oh well, gonna try my hand at breeding some silkworms because he loves those.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i heard some bad things about butterworms...kill one by letting it starve or something (just dont crush it) in a small plastic container and they secrete something that will eat the plastice pretty badly :shock:

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LizardLicker21

LizardLicker21 New Member

I've never heard anything like that before. I got some for my baby about a month and he rapidly consumed them; he's doing just fine. They have a massive amount of calcium.
    Caredeocr- I'm trying to fatten some silkworms up to spin/breed right now. I've got about 6 that are almost 3" long. You have any certain set-up in mind? There's been one thread where a guy was telling how he breeds his silkworms, but I haven't been able to find much other than that. Lemme know if you have any thoughts! :idea:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. joe5555

joe5555 Member

Ive heard that butterworms are really good for your herps.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. caredeocr

caredeocr New Member

My silkworm eggs just hatched so not sure how this experiment is going to work.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BabyFirefly

BabyFirefly New Member

what site did you buy the butterworms from? i cant seem to find one

12. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I breed silkies and what I do is take some toilet paper rolls, cut them in half and paperclip them together in a pyramid shape. This is a good place for your silkies to spin.

When they stop eating and look like they've shrunk is when you'll want to move them into the paper rolls. I've had the best results by constantly providing the worms with food after they reach 3".

[/quote]My silkworm eggs just hatched so not sure how this experiment is going to work.[/quote]

If only a few of them have hatched you can take real small strips of chow and place it near the eggs but no on top of any. The worms should be able to find their way to the food. Once they have all hatched just grate about 1/8" of chow right on top of the worms and that should last a couple of days.

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I'll try to help out as best I can. I've been breeding them successfully for about a year.[/quote]