Going to buy a corn need a few ? answered

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Habes, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Habes

Habes Embryo

I was wondering if it is ok to put the baby corn in a shoe box and just put the shoe box in the tank??

Also I will be trying to use frozen mice was wondering how to deforst the mouse? put him the refrig. or leave out on the counter top?? and how long it takes to deforst, before you can feed it to him??

Also if you keep the tank the same temp. year-round will this be ok or does he need a hibernating period??

Any help would be great thanx!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Ummm......why do you want to put the snake in the shoebox? I'm a little confused there. If you mean for feeding, then yes, technically you could. As long as the box is ventilated. But don't use the cardboard kind, they can't be disinfected. I'd get the rubbermaid or sterilite brand plastic shoeboxes and punch holes in the top for that.
    As for thawing mice, that's easy. I would designate a glass or bowl or something for mouse thawing only and then place the frozen mouse in the container and fill the container with hot tap water. Generally, I let the tap run just a little continuously into the container and set the container in the sink. That way the water stays a consistent temperature and the overflow doesn't make a mess. It'll take about 5-10 minutes for a pinky, probably about 5, and then a little longer for each size larger. You need to make sure it is warmed through completely and I usually test that by gently squeezing the belly to make sure it's soft and pliable. You can also put it under a heat lamp to thaw but you have to remember to turn it frequently or it will burn, not to do it on top of the cage or you'll get the snake excited, and don't set the lamp on a solid surface or it will burn it. You don't have to change the temp of the cage at all throughout the year. Unless you are planning on breeding, then just keep it the same (about 85 on the warm side and about 80 on the cool side during the day; it can be a few degrees higher on the warm side but I wouldn't go above 90).

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Habes

Habes Embryo

I mean for when it is a baby snake they say to keep him in a shoe box; for the heat; can you just put the shoe box in side you tank or should I get a seperate mini heat pad for the shoe box? Or would it be ok to keep him in the big tank with lots of hid boxes???

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

The shoebox is meant to be the cage in that instance so yes, technically you could put the shoebox inside the tank as long as it is ventilated. If you are using a UTH and the cage has plenty of hiding places, then you wouldn't really need to use a plastic shoebox for the cage. You could definitely use it for feeding however. You just don't want the young snake to be overwhelmed by large open spaces. It needs to feel secure. As long as the cage is warm enough and you are monitoring the temps well, then there shouldn't be any problems keeping him in the regular cage.