Getting ready

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by Advent, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

I'm going to wait until the end of febuary at a expo to get my crested.

I'm hoping to get a juvie. Doesn't really matter what color to me.

Do you think I could get a $75 dollar one or so?

Which are more personable? Males or Females?

I'm going to put it in a 20 gallon tall with a waterfall and some fake plants, maybe a live one in a pot, if so what kind of live plant do you recommend?

I'll probly put some sort of moss for substrate, and but some fake vines in there.

I want to make it really jungley (sp?)

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

$75 should be a reasonable price for a crestie. Usually fires, flames, and a few good solid colors are about that.

Males or females, both are personable. Males tend to be a little more inclined to eat crickets as they grow older over females but both are great and either sex has equal benefits.

"One of the most popular plants (from the geckos' perspective) seems to be the weeping fig or Ficus benjamina." -Crested Gecko info page on http://sandfiredragonranch.com

Just amke sure the substrate you use cant really be eaten. I usually feed by hand or from a dish in my enclosure which has a coconut fiber (kinda like moss) substrate. The fake vines sound great as does the waterfall.

Sounds great! They really enjoy lots of things to climb on and stuff.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Advent

Advent Member

I knew you would answer, thanks.

I think I'll go for a male. Will he be fine by himself? I just get kindof a guilty feeling thinking he would be bored/lonely.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

They are solitary creatures for the most part, and he would prolly be better off and happier by himself.

However in groups they have shown social behavior of clicking, chirping, and croaking noises. But make sure if by chance you did want to put 2 together, that they are quartined from each other for at least 30 days and they are both female! Two males will fight, and a male and female will mate, which you dont want to get in to.

Trust me, one alone will be perfectly fine and content. Spike seems to never get bored, and with that enclosure set up the way your describing he'll have loads of fun exploring and climbing!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Advent

Advent Member

Cool, thanks Jeff. I have from now until the end of febuary to raise a little over 100 bucks, and i can go over a bit with my dad. Will a juvie be alright in a 20 gallon high? Or 10 gallon first?

And should I use the small or medium exo-terra waterfall?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Whatever fits best, the small I would assume. But I think the medium can hold the mister which is off the shiznat (cool/good).

The tank size, if the crestie is under 5 months of age it should be in the 10 gallon, but if above the 20 gallon will work out ok. If its pretty close I think you can get by ok, but if you end up getting one thats pretty small you could just section off some of the 20 gallon so its smaller for him. Unless you have a spare 10 gallon or something then your fine. Sorry I tend to go on and on...

12. Advent

Advent Member

Shiznat lol. Or as napoleon would say; "Flippin' sweet!".

I'll probly just section some off. I'll compare prices at the local pet store and glasscages.com for a 20 tall.

Do you have AIM or MSN or YIM? It would be easier to talk on there.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

AIM, its on the little button below this post :wink:

http://glasscages.com has great prices, but keep in mind they dont ship glass because it can break.

LOL! Love that movie!

14. Advent

Advent Member

I've decided to wait till my beardie grows up a bit, maybe next year when I see how highschool is, and see how much time I have to take care of one. I really wish I could get one though. Today when I went to pick up my cricket order, there were some new cresteds in the pet shop, he just hopped from hand to hand, then up to my shoulder. But then ofcourse my mom gave me a speech about how I already have enough pets.

15. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i have heard my two females chirping at night before. its soothing. its not like a cricket chirping...more like a frog but somehow smoother

16. CrestedGecko1991

CrestedGecko1991 New Member

cool, I think you should go for a nice looking color morph, I have a 3 month old flame crested gecko and it looks awsome.