Getting new Crestie, need info.

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by nuggular, Jan 31, 2005.

1. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

I am going to a reptile show here in WI on Saturday, April 23rd, 2005. I will be getting a Crested gecko and I just need some info on what you guys would recommend for a setup. I have a 20 gallon hex tank I was gonna use for the new dude. I currently keep 2 tokay geckos, 2 leopard geckos, 1 moorish gecko, 4 firebelly newts, 2 firebelly toads, and 1 baby turtle (RES). So I have alot of experience with lizards and just need some recommendations. Main questions are:

1. temp?
    2. humidity?
    3. UVB?
    4. Substrate?
    5. diet?

Thx all. :(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

1. Should be room temperature (within the 70Fs) if it goes above 80F then your crestie will die.
    2. Should be high 60% or more.
    3. They are nocturnal so no UVB is neccessary.
    4. I use dirt and live moss, but Bed-A-Beast (Eco Earth) is fine.
    5. I feed mine baby food such as Peach, and Turkey and Gravey. I mix in with the Peach baby food a little Crested Gecko Diet made from T-Rex.

hope this helps

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nuggular

cool man. Thx. So they will really die if the temp goes over 80 F. Damn. I will be very careful not to let it get above that. Also, is it ok to feed them crickets and mealworms too. I intend to feed them what u said and I would like to very their diet. Thx so much for the info.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they can get heat stroke from temps that go up that high. no problem if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Crickets are great, and I recommednt them more than babyfood just cause they can be gutloaded with more nutrients and they add to the natural instinct. Plus adds excersise.

Mealworms I wouldnt feed to often, and even if you did feed I doubt your gecko will eat them. Most are hardly interested in them at all.

Actually more like about the mid 80's (84-85 ish) they can get stressed and die. In the wild they are protected from the hot sun but the dnese vegetation of the forest.

Everything else was covered :wink:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

sorry bout that JEFF. i thought it was 80F or higher

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Well I persoanlly wouldnt let it get above 80 either :p, if someone had it about 79-80 I just wouldnt want them to worry and think its too hot for the crestie. They can usually stand up to the mid 80's before getting to bad, but i still would keep it in the 70's, 80 is more the max in my opinion.

13. nuggular

Thx again guys. Good I'm glad they can eat crickets. I will watch my temps closely when I get my crestie. I have a temp gun so all should be well. :p