Getting a White's Treefrog

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Katibug06, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

I am getting my dad a White's Dumpy Treefrog for his birthday. I know the basics. What I would like to know is what kind of live plants to use in the tank?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. malevolent_spirit

malevolent_spirit Embryo

RE: Getting a White

I asked the same exact question, and i'm still waiting for somebody to answer me. I just know that if their live plants, you must make sure that the company that grew them didn't spray any chemicals on them....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Yeah, but in case of accidental digestion somehow I would like to know what plants would be considered toxic.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

and when I said birthday I meant Christmas...

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

Well what plants do u have in mind??

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

I heard african violets grow well in a treefrog habitat. So I was thinking violets, then some sort of grass, and some more viney, jungle-looking plants. Whatever works basically.

12. malevolent_spirit

malevolent_spirit Embryo

Yes. What plants would work?

13. Palindrome

Palindrome New Member

Most plants are fine in a frog vivarium, as they don't eat the plants. There is a few plants like Figus family that have a toxic juice, it's white and looks alot like milk when u break a leaf or bruice the stem. Try to avoide this kinda plants if the frogs are big and the weight from em might bust up the plants, letting the plants juice drip onto the frogs skin. This can cause skin burns even with humans, as a gardener I have worked with this kinda plants and seen ppl get rashes from em coz they did'nt use gloves when cutting clones or waht ever.

But I would say a plant like Ficus Benjamina would be a nice plant to start out with or a strangler fig (Ficus citrifolia), alot of this fig plants produce a small amount of toxic juice but aslong it's not a plant eating reptile it's not a problem. There are ofcause some you should avoide, but your local flowerist/gardener should be able to tell ya how toxic the plant juice is. If not just try it out on your hand, break a leaf and apply the juice on a small local area. Do u get a red itchy spot there, should you not use this plant for your cage, a little like hair color and make-up :) LOL

Palindrome

14. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

Thanks Palindrome
    If everyone could just tell me what plants you use in your terrariums that would be a big help!

15. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

I use pothos for all my treefrogs.