getting a new crestie

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by MrFrigels, Oct 17, 2004.

1. MrFrigels

MrFrigels Embryo

Hey, Ive had my crestie for about 4 months now. Ive been wanting another one to put in the same tank. And Ive been waiting patiently to see if it was male or female, and now im positive its male.
    Anyway, Ive found a female off of a site called repiledepot.com(I dont know how to make a link to it). So i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or warnings before I get this new member of the family. Also if the website is reliable. Thanks for any comments.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Their repteles look ok to me, are you a member? I believe they give discounts to members. In order to make it a site appear simply coppy and paste the url one it shows like, http:// or whatever.

Make sure you g=have at least a 29 gallon aquarium thats 30" x 12" x 18" in order to house two. Be prepared to take out the eggs once they have been laid and watch for any signs of stress, especially in the female. Also, quartine the new animal for about 40 days in a seperate tank to make sure it carries no parasites or disease, and to get it accustomed to you and its environment.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MrFrigels

MrFrigels Embryo

that sounds pretty good, but what do I do to quarintine her

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Morkai

Morkai New Member

Just keep her seperate from your current crestie. Do maintenenance on her and her enclosure last and wash your hands with anitbacterial soap before and after.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MrFrigels

MrFrigels Embryo

how big should the cage be? Can I just use a critter keeper type cage?
    Is the quarintine instead of doing a fecal or do I still have to take her to the vet? I would really prefer not to, but If I should I will

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You should, a fecal is always nessasry and a quarintine is essential. If the one has some strange disease or anything that it can pass than you could end up with 2 dead cresties. Depending on age you should either keep the cresty in a 10 gallon ( 0-5 month old ) or a 20 gallon tall ( 6+ months old). Keep it simple, no need to get fancy. non adhesive shelf liner or paper towel is fine, with a water dish and some silk plants or whatever. Keep the little girl in there for about 30-90 days and then gradually introduce them. I recommend taking them both out together after about 30 days and let them get used to each other. After it reaches about 40 days ttoal then you can prolly keep them together.