Getting a new anole

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Chrid, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Chrid

Chrid Embryo

I will be getting a green anole soon and would like to ask some questions. What do I do right when I get my anole?, Crickets or mealworm? , and how often should I mist his tank? Thanks in advance to any answers!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! I have never owned an anole but heavily misting twice daily would be beneficial. Before getting the anole be sure you have a proper set up including a tall tank, heat source, thermostat for temp regulation and water dish. As for food crickets and mealies could work. Variety would be best so you could try mealies, crickets, roaches, silkworms etc and see what he'd like best.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Chrid

Chrid Embryo

Thanks, I will be getting him or her tomorrow. Do you know if there is any way to tell there gender? I plan to feed it 5 crickets every other day and I might feed it meal worms on the weekends. And I know that they can get stressed, is there any way to relieve their stress?
    Thanks again!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

When they are young it's a bit harder. Older anoles you could try sexing by looking for pores easier. Male will have enlarged and waxy secreting pre-anal pores. To reduce stress just give him plenty of hiding places. Dark little places for security.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Chrid

Chrid Embryo

I got him a bit early, I thought we were going home from school but we went to the pet store and got one, he is pretty stressed now (brown) but he is green when i feed him crickets. I've changed to feeding him 3 crickets daily and sometimes meal worms.
    Thanks again!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Chrid

Chrid Embryo

He seems to be burrowing at night? I cant find him at night so i assume he is burrowed.