getting a iguana

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Camman13, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MegannLizzy

MegannLizzy New Member

i dont believe everything i read.. i believe what i see, my iguana was stunted bc of the tank they kept her in i see it first had my lizzy will never be the size she is suppose to be bc of her owners if you want to have that on your back be my guest.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. rouqie

rouqie Embryo

Ok to whom this may concern. In my life time I was taught by my parents that in order to do something you do it right the first time. I mean anyone who is anyone can do a have crummy job the first time around and end up paying for it in the end. So do it right the first time and get it done. This leads me to the start of the point that I am starting to make... Before we even got our little baby, we did three and a half months of hard core research. We called four different vets, looked at multiple web sites, have purchased multiple books (including "The Green Iguana Hand Book" which according to the three different breeders that we have talked to is the "BIBLE" for raising Iguanas, we also have a college level text book on herpetology) We always knew that Spaz would get to be a very big by and we would have to build a more permanent home for him, which is why we have a architect/structural engineer friend that is designing plans for us to build a cage that is 7'x5'x8' (LxWxH) in which we plan on including a water tub for bathing, a separate dish for drinking water as well as one for food. Not to mention a large number of climbing branches and basking platforms, due to the fact that Iguanas are aboreal lizards and love to spend most of their time basking in the trees where they feel more secure. That is why the 20 gal tank that we have him in is only a temporary enclosure, and that as he grows so will his home until he is full grown. How dare you someone of your supposed "high intelligence" in regards to reptiles and Iguanas tell some one that they don't know what they are doing and could harm their pet regarding this topic. I mean come on off the all high and mighty horse lady, you are going to tell someone how to take care of their pet because you claim they don't know what they are doing and you do. I mean come on; you can't even use proper English and construct quality sentences. Your Iguana is not the size she is supposed to be? What the heck does that mean? Iguanas can reach sizes ranging ANYWHERE from five to six feet. Now I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, because I have never met you or seen your precious Lizzy, and her previous owners may not have taken the best care of her. But did it ever occur to you the reason she may not be "the right size" is not because of the size of the enclosure but rather then all out lack of care in other regions of her life. But, wait I forgot you are smart and know what you are talking about. By the way just for fun read this... "Many people think that if an iguana is kept in a small cage, it will remain small, but this is untrue. Iguanas, if cared for properly, will usually grow to reach lengths of five to six feet." This quote comes from the Green Iguana Society Website, www.greenigsociety.org, one f the most reputed and best websites to refer to regarding Iguanas as stated by many vets. This quote is also borrowed from their site, "A baby or juvenile iguana does not need a huge enclosure. In fact, a large aquarium makes a fine habitat for small iguanas. Be aware, however, that iguanas grow very quickly, and they will outgrow a large aquarium by the end of their first year." So if he wants to use a small aquarium for a TEMPORARY home for his Iguana for the first year while he makes other arrangements for future proper housing, let him. Who are you to tell him what to do, Ohh that's right I completely for got that you know everything there is to know about Iguanas. Come on lady, using the term very loosely, if you feel that you need to tell others what to do in order make yourself seem more intelligent and that you know what you are talking about, when you don't. Please go somewhere else and do it, instead of making up things that don't help anybody. Admit you don't have or know all the answers and give them advice and helping them find the answers, not make up stories out of thin air. I mean I know that I don't know everything and don't have all the answers. But I do know that I have some knowledge of certain things and I am more than willing to admit that I don't know the answer to something and help the person try to find it, instead for fabricating it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camman13returns

Camman13returns Embryo

A few of you guys are being a lil mean ok.I Lizard i is having a good life it eats good i know how big it gets i am not stupid.A few of you guys think ur big shots cause yal know everything well guess wat i dont care wat you say i mean not all of you are mean but like Three of you are.I should not of made a post like this i thought you would of been a lil bit nicer an stuff. some of this info works amd thank you but really come on the post is over ight. ok i dont need any more info cause if i do i will not go to this forum anymore.It's a nice forum one of the best it's a shame i have to but i got banned from one of mine names on here which is bull crap.I'am sorry for the crap i caused an stuff.I got the lizard i know alot of stuff but i dont know all.
    So i am sorry an just stop posting ok i am tired of people being mean to me.

Your Friend or at least was, Cameron

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StockrA

StockrA New Member

this is why i think people should do some sort of test and age limit before they buy any reptile or any other exotic pet for that matter. this kid would have failed, and would have gone home empty handed, also the shop keeper should have adviced getting a bigger tank.
    why do you feel the need to have a iggy for a first pet, oh i know that one, because they get huge and look cool

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Camman13returns

Camman13returns Embryo

I noticed you have a water dragon i got one too.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StockrA

StockrA New Member

yeh my sig need's updating, i now have two, ive built a tank that fills up half my back room. i keep meaning to get pic's up of my new set up, but i need to get new battery's for my digi cam, every time i put non rechargables, they die before i get to take a shot ;) but soon come