gecko name!!

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Hummingbird, May 12, 2004.

?

which name do you like best?

1. *

ravi (after a river of the same name in pakistan)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

jai (pronouned like the american name 'jay' and means "victorious" in punjabi)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

raj (means "king or ruler" in punjabi)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. *

rajah (a variation of 'raj')

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

well i'm getting a viper gecko! he/she should be here by next week! so i'm deciding on names and all the names for my animals have to be PERFECT so i've been mulling over what to call my new lizard baby. :D

for those of you that don't know, viper geckos are native to the deserts of pakistan. so i looked up the native language of pakistan and there are a TON of languages spoken there. the national language is urdu, but the official language is english even though only like 3% of the population speaks english!!! english was probably made the official language at a time in history when great britain had taken them over and, even though the people didn't speak english, the british just had to make the language english and no one has bothered to change it since. ok ANYWAY, other common languages spoken are sindhi, siraiki, pashtu, balochi, hindko, and more! the most common language spoken in pakistan is punjabi, though. so i found some punjabi names and words online and have narrowed down a name for my pakistani viper gecko!

even though i may not actually name him/her the name that is most common amongst you all, i still want your input! so which one do you like best!?!?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I definitely like Rajah the best. But then again, the way we both shorten names, you'd probably call him Raj anyways! lol Can't wait to see the little guy! I thought he was arriving tomorrow?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. EmilyH

EmilyH New Member

Ravi sounds cute. :D Also, it sounds gender-neutral, so if it turns out to be the opposite gender, you won't have to change the name.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. cd

cd Member

I like Raj. (Because of the meaning mostly.) < you gotta make sure your little guy has his self-esteem! :D I liked Rajah too, but for some reason that sounds like more of a mammal name to me. Good luck!
    -Cristine

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Hummingbird

well you guys are NO help!!! it's now 25% for each name! lol! :D

you're right about the name 'ravi', emily, and it's gender neutrality. it's the original name i was thinking about for that reason.

cristine - you probably see 'rajah' as more of a mammal name because that was the name of jasmine's tiger in the disney movie 'alladin'! oh i LOVE that movie! a whole new world . . . for you and me . . . . . . k i'll stop singing now . . . :D

ang - well she said she'd ship him yesterday IF she didn't have to take the final exam that was scheduled for yesterday. if she DID have to take it she said she'd send it next week. she hasn't emailed me so i'm asuming she'll send him next week. RRGG! i can't wait anymore!!! :) :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. cd

cd Member

Thats hilarious! I have been trying to figure out where I heard that name all morning. So now I know. Yay! The name I like best is winning!
    (Simply lovely singing voice you've got there by the way!)
    -Cristine

12. Hummingbird

LOL!!! and thanks! :D

13. Hummingbird

oh come on, peeps! you don't have to post anything, just vote!!!! :D i KNOW you all have opinions!!

14. Karma

Karma New Member

I voted for Ravi- but I also really like Jai- probably about the same!

That is too funny- I have Kai on my list of beardie names LOL (pronounced like Pi with a k hehe)

I have so many on my list I can't decide- right now I am partial to Mystic Sky, Phoenix, Dakota Phoenix, Terra Lyric and Rain. Jewel and Kai and Takoda are also on my list.

Dakota and Takoda both mean friend. Takoda is Sioux.

This is the SHORT list LOL

Any opinions?

15. cd

cd Member

I like Takoda.
    -Cristine

16. Karma

Karma New Member

Takoda is a very cool name- meaning friend to everyone. I am so weird- I have middle names for the Beardies LOL

Takoda Lyric -sounds alright-

I have so many others- like Yin and Yang LOL Lavendar and Vanilla

17. Sirch

Sirch Member

if it was my lizard i'd wait til it arrived then get the latin name for its personality
    a cool name is mo'o which means lizard in hawaiin (didnt spell that right)

18. ty16

ty16 New Member

hey while we are all on the subject of names, i have three leopard gecko's in need of names, one is an adult female that i'v had for a while and could just never come up with a name for, then there is a juvie that is three months old that i hatched and finaly the newest addition to my herp family, a 5 month old HTCT female that i got at the ohio reptile show earlier this month. my other leo's names are rupert and old mama gums. im horrible at coming up with names i like so if anyone has any ideas help me(and my geckos)out!